southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steelhead, Browns and opportunistic cats
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 pm 
Brown Trout

It was cold. When it's this cold I like to start with warm feet so I put my boots and waders in front of the little electric fireplace heater thing we have in the back room to get a head start. Louie is a cat (one of the cats) that we took in from my asshole brother-in-law a few years ago. He's a great big cat and super smart. I've had 11 cats in my life and this dude is the smartest. I love that every time I would walk by he was warming a different part of his body.

ImageLouie and waders by rjeeves, on Flickr

butts warmin

ImageLouie and waders by rjeeves, on Flickr

So I did go fishing. Very cold very windy. I'd hear that wind coming and just turn my back and ride it out. I worked pretty hard for two fish. I saw a flash on a dead drifted trout bead head wolleybugger and let that area sit for a few minutes. I used to tie egg sucking leaches but now I just peg a trout bead right at the eye of the hook of a WB. I went back and this little guy nailed it on a jigged movement.

ImageBurt dam by rjeeves, on Flickr

I took a break and drank some tea to warm up... My hands were very cold so I stayed in my mittens too. I lit a cigar and worked about 40 yards of stream swinging that same set up. The Bills were playing so no one was on the stream and I was able actually swing, step, swing, step my way along. I like to let the fly hang at the end of the drift for a few seconds then do a single fast short strip before the retrieve. A guide friend of mine gave me that tip years ago and it's paid off a few times a year. This big F'er hit as I did that quick short strip... as an added bonus the fish will hit hard and turn as you are stripping line and it basically sets the hook solidly on it's own.

ImageBurt dam by rjeeves, on Flickr

I went home after this one and saw this on TV

ImageBillsColts by rjeeves, on Flickr

The south shore of Lake Ontario is a very odd place to live. The lake protects you from the cold and snow in the winter and keeps it a little cooler in the summer. The Bills play about 40 minutes south of my house and where I was fishing... they got a lot of snow and we got nothing.

Post subject: Re: Steelhead, Browns and opportunistic cats
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice steel and ya gotta love an orange cat. Orange cats are the smartest cats that I have ever owned.
Looks colder than dammit. Did it get down into the negative numbers ?? It was 14 when I got out this morning. Prolly got down to about 10 during the night with a wind chill around 0.

Stone-Man getting more fire wood

Post subject: Re: Steelhead, Browns and opportunistic cats
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:47 am 
Brown Trout

I think the coldest it got was 3. F'in cold! We have anywhere from 4 or 5 inches on the ground to a foot and a half depending on where you are in WNY. There is a thaw coming tmrw with rain on tuesday. Could set up the streams for a fresh steelhead run with great conditions for weds on.

I have cleared my schedule! If anyone wants to come up this week I'd be glad to show you around.