southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1st 2010 Basic Fly Fishing Clinic @ NCWRC Pechmann Center
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 pm 
Brown Trout

The weather finally broke our way and on Saturday, January 23, 2010 we were able to hold the first basic fly fishing clinic of the season at the NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center, located just outside Fayetteville, NC. Ice on the ponds two weeks ago forced us to cancel the first clinic.

We merged the participants from our cancelled class into our following clinics and ended up with over forty novice fishermen today. A show of hands revealed that at least half of them had never held a fly rod before.

This is the 8th year that fly fishing clinics have been offered at the NCWRC Pechmann Center. We have developed a curriculum which starts with an overview of the basics of fly fishing.

We then divide the participants into four groups and rotate them through stations where they receive instruction on the various key aspects of the sport.

Knots and rod assembly is one of our very essential hands-on stations

Healthy Habitat and fishing ethics always prompts some interesting discussions.

You can't go trout fishing in North Carolina without checking on the rules and regulations which are peculiar to trout.

Casting instruction is so important that we have broken it down into two stations. Everyone starts off by receiving a detailed explanation and demonstration about the importance of "loading the rod" and making the rod work for you and not allowing the rod to give you a "work out"

They move directly from the casting demonstration to some "hands-on" casting under the watchful eye of several volunteer assistant instructors.

The final exam for all of our fishing clinics comes when we move to the ponds where 1000 trout wait to see if today's group of participants are worthy of the title "fly fisherman"

The water is still very cold (41-43 degrees today) so the bite was not what everyone hopes for but just about everyone caught fish. We have a mix of rainbow, brown and brook trout - the majority of today's catch were brook trout.

[imghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/Allieworm/IMGP2717.jpg][/img]
Lots of smiles when they catch their first fish.

We opened up the catfish ponds for some serious fly fishing. If you have never caught a large catfish on a fly rod you're in for a treat. One of our assistant instructors landed a nice one.

Not to be outdone this young fellow caught one just as big.

And so ends the first of several fly fishing clinics hosted by the NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center. The clinics have become a "best seller" with folks coming from as far away as South Carolina and Virginia to participate. Where else can you learn the basics of fly fishing with equipment furnished for only $5? We even furnish coffee, soda and doughnuts and we spend half of the day fishing on ponds filled with trout.

Our next basic clinic will be held on Feb 6. An advanced clinic will be conducted on Feb 20. Boy Scout merit badge clinics will be held on Mar 6 and Mar 20 . All dates are on a Saturday with a start time of 9:00am and end time of 3:30pm. Registration through Lake Rim Park (424-6134) began on December 1, 2009. The cost is $5. Pre-registration is required. The basic clinics fill very fast so pass this information along to all of your friends

Post subject: Re: 1st 2010 Basic Fly Fishing Clinic @ NCWRC Pechmann Center
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:36 pm 
Brown Trout

It was alot of fun, Albert! Where is the picture of my hybrid? :evil: I have a picture or two I need identified!

A little hint or two if needed. The first one had a truck full of midgets and the second one picked the only decent looking female to tutor! :lol:

I go just as much to see my friends as to fish. It was worth every bit of the 1 1/2 hour drive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:19 pm 
Brown Trout

Got a couple more photos to share ..................

Many of you recognize this cool character as 5x or "Ben the Beetle Man" - He used one of his famous beetles to catch a nice hybrid striper today.

Many of our volunteers such as "Mr Jay" develop a bond with with one individual for the entire clinic and provide special tutoring. Here is a classic photo of "Mr Jay's" new buddy. At the end of the clinic I heard him saying to his mother who was ready to leave, "Just one more cast Mom, just one more cast".

Some of our other volunteers give an extra degree of attention to the ladies. Some of you will recognize the fellow in the background. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:38 pm 
Brown Trout

We had a good bunch of students, and it was good to see all the volunteers again. We even had a few of last year's students return as volunteers this year.

The fishing did start out a bit slow. There was a stiff breeze out of the north, never a good sign, but the fish were there, and they cooperated better than they had last year. Black was the color this time around. Black woolybuggers, with a bit of flash in the tail, took most of the fish.

After 3PM, when most of the students had left, I got out my latest 'boo rod, a 7'6" 3-piece 4wt, and tested the waters. After a couple fly changes, I settled on a size 16 BH Black Hare's Ear. I cast it into the deepest part of the pond, let it sink slowly and retrieved it just fast enough to keep it off the bottom. That was the ticket! Almost every cast resulted in a fish. I think I had 3 drifts that didn't result in a hit. For a good hour, I was pulling fish out back to back. As JT would say, "It was perverted!" When I finally lost the fly, I didn't bother tying on another one. I'd caught enough fish for one day. Not often you can say that.

I didn't take any pictures, but they just looked like standard stockers. Looking forward to the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:21 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
I didn't take any pictures, but they just looked like standard stockers. Looking forward to the next one.

Got you covered Paul. Thanks for helping out.
Some of you may not know this but Paul has been with the program for at least six years now. He is one of our most dedicated and knowledgeable volunteers.