southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Neither rain, nor sleet.....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Finally got outside today. Devin and I fished with Scubafish. Weather was beautiful this morning, sunshine and blue skies. Headed to Stone Mountain as a lot of streams I figured would be muddy. Water was stained but you could see 3' or so.

Found some fish in the next run down below the iron bridge. Water was COLD, I would guess maybe low 40's. Water levels were good, finally Bull head and Garden creek were back to normal flow levels after being low for years.

Woolly Buggers and Prince nymphs, fished as a dropper behind an egg pattern were the ticket. Not sure how the stocking went as the Church pool had very few fish, even the pool under the foot bridge only held a fraction of what is normally there. The big hole in the pines below the handicap ramp at bullhead was void of fish. If you go, I suggest that you check out the non obvious holes. I kind of liked it, you had to work for fish.

We got checked by the game warden at the footbridge, it was good to see him there. I hope he caught the guys using powerbait under the iron bridge. ( yeah I gave him a hint that it might be worth stopping by there to say hi :mrgreen: )

Weather was great early, had a rain shower that started right as we got back to the truck after about a half mile hike. Then it sleeted almost the size of small hail for about 15 minutes. stopped and started in fits the rest of the day , but the temperatures felt like they were dropping through out the day. Great day to be out, everyone caught fish. I really needed some time on the water. Devin and I cut up and had some quality time today!

Post subject: Re: Neither rain, nor sleet.....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:08 am 
Brown Trout

Good for you all! :D I have'nt caught a fish since left behinds :o and have only been out a total of about 6 hrs....twice on the pond for about an hr each and once just a couple of weeks ago on the saluda with an arctic wind blowing up my back side the whole time......I'll be glad to see some warmer temps.....maybe the brim or something will start moving in the pond.....I gotta 50lb bag of fish food in the wifes truck waiting to bring em' in around the dock.....I need to build a few feeders and start fattening em' up like Geezer does.....or teach the girls how to throw it out far enough :idea: I'd like to see them be able to go down and catch some decent fish on the Barbie poles.....I still remember about two yrs back when a big channel cat (8lbs) snatched J's worm :D

Post subject: Re: Neither rain, nor sleet.....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 am 
Brown Trout

Good for you, Bob. Glad you got out with Devin and caught some fish.

I went to the Watauga DH yesterday. The rains Friday and Friday night had the water blown out -- very high, muddy, and cold. I got skunked. I talked to two guides with four clients in tow, and they got skunked as well. I also talked to a guy who said that he caught 15 there Friday morning before the water came up. Oh, well. I'm paying my winter dues, I guess. At least I went out for the day, and didn't pay $ hundreds of bucks to a guide in order to get skunked. :D