southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wilson cr DH
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:26 pm 
Brown Trout

Hit the DH today for most of the day. Got a pass. Been to cold to fish so I guess Karen figured I deserved it. Pretty slow most of the day. Finally found a few pods of fish in the afternoon. All my fish came on some type of BHHE variant, FB, ice dubbed, etc. I had it dropped behind and egg. The egg seems to get their attention nicely. Almost all were stocker brookies with a couple of hog bows at the end.

Cookie cutter brookie.

Gratuitous head shot.

Taped this one at 16", and he was a fatty.

And hiding in the middle of the pic is his BIG brother. It came unbuttoned about 6 ft from the net. Easily 18", maybe 20" and about twice as round as the other one. :shock:

He went into the death spin and spit the HE back at me. I had to use a Tungsten eag, BHHE, and 4 split shot to get to the bottom of the hole. I had an 8' leader and the strike indicator was up to my fly line. They were DEEP. Overall a fun day.

Post subject: Re: Wilson cr DH
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Good on ya Jason....next time worry about landing the fish instead of getting the pic! LOL....(I've lost a couple that way too).

Am I seeing things or is that line pink?? if so...what weight ...WF or DT ?? and where did ya get it? I'm probably gonna need another for Kaylee in a 3 or 4 wt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 pm 
Brown Trout

haha, yeah it's pink. It's Laurens reel, and I'm too cheap to get another reel and 5wt line. Speaking of cheap, that's an $11 SA rod too! :D

It's the Jim Teeny Casting for Recovery line. 5 and 8wt only though. It's WF floating, the pink side to the leader with a purple running line. They sell pink backing too. Not sure who else does the pink line.

http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html? ... Intro.html

Tom, something told me I better try to get a pic. At least I got something. I don't think it would have mattered. It was rolling and pulling hard. It ran about 15-20 yrd up into the hole and I could not stop it. That fish had some shoulders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:47 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Glad to hear ya got out and netted a few. I think I know that hole..... ;) I was going to ask if you were using Laurens outfit..... Was the water up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 am 
Brown Trout

Ben, I've not fished the DH but twice. And the water was actually lower than it was last fall. Clear too. I could see those big fish in the bottom of the hole. From the looks of things it seemed to be pretty normal. I'm not used to wading water that big, so it wore me out though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:44 pm 
Brown Trout

Jason...thats the same line thats on J's and she has the pink backing....got it from roundrocks.....seems they might have a 2 wt in pink now too though....I'll check it out....was just wondering if there were any alternatives.