southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smith-Saturday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:43 pm 
Brown Trout

I have not been fishing in a while and I decided to go to the Smith Saturday. I then found out they would be generating from 1:00 until dark or worse. I decided to go anyway even though my options were to more or less suck hind titty. I slept fairly late because I was tired and the ride home at night is easier if I am awake. I arrived at Bassett at around 1:30 and rode around and scouted things out. The weather man had lied as usual and the wind was blowing like a bat out of heck. I stopped in the middle of Bassett and fished for about an hour without catching squat. I can detect a trend as well as anybody and realized I was going nowhere fast. I hopped in the car and headed downstream and rerigged. I threw one of Peewee's streamers for a few minutes and managed to finally hook one. I threw that sucker for a little while longer and I was totally ignored. I finally heard a splash when the wind died down for a few minutes and realized there was a fish finally acting civilized and eating on top. About that time a very big black ant landed on my arm from a tree above me and I realized what was going on. I headed to the bank and rerigged with a small thin black beetle and caught three fish in about 20 minutes. I basically drove 7 hours to fish for about 2 hours with 30 minutes catching fish. :lol: What the heck, it was the most fun I've had in a while and the river will be getting better evey day from here.

Post subject: Re: Smith-Saturday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 pm 
Brown Trout

I know what happened Ben - Ya got a new ride and the fish did not recognize you when you pulled up, otherwise they would have been lined up to jump on your beetle.

Post subject: Re: Smith-Saturday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:30 pm 
Brown Trout

Glad you found some fish 5x ....boy would have thought them beetle would be a few weeks out.Guess the warm weather has them fish looking up. Sulfur time is about here so the beetles can just wait a little. :D :D Havent fished that run for awhile so glad they still eat the longbug.Heading to the Holston so we go from longbugs to size 20 being the biggest one you fish all day. :D :D