southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SOHO, Didymo, and Brad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:14 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Good evening. I’ve been lurking here awhile. I frequently post on another forum, but after talking with a couple of your members, I’ve decided to give this location a try.

I’ve been concerned with the Didymo on the SOHO, and after talking with Knox I decided to take a look at the critters. Today I briefly glanced at a few cobbles at Rivers Way. The Didymo is bad as earlier noted by Knox. We did find plenty of Black Fly larvae and pupae, as well as a few Olives that were ready to emerge. As for the “yellow” (sulphur) nymphs, I did not see any, BUT on a very positive note there were hundreds of nymphal shucks floating in the river after the brief pulse. I mentioned to Knox that these were likely shucks from the most recent nymphal molt. So, the sulphur nymphs are there and should be hatching in mass soon. Or there could have been a hatch well upstream. I am sure someone will report the first sulphurs. The bottom line is the Didymo is bad and hopefully the growth will ebb soon.

I also got to met Brad (teachrtec) on the river. It was pleasure. I’ve seen his posts here and on other forums. Today Brad was in the zone, catching brown after brown on small olive dries. I saw him catch several large fish without moving more than a few meters. It was good to put a voice with posts and avatar.

Post subject: Re: SOHO, Didymo, and Brad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Good to have ya...come on yellar bugs :D

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

As Brad would say, :). Glad that you're on here. You'll like the atmosphere, and as Brad also said to me today, "Sometimes people act better without rules." This is a solid group of folks........ By the way I never did get that nice brown to eat. -Knox

"Say I won't!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:13 am 
Rainbow Trout

Knox, did the brown continue to eat/feed, or did the fish simply snub your repulsive offerings? I’ll tell you Beaverman, it is those da*ned beads! I swear I did not see one bead on those live critters we looked at yesterday! I bet Brad could have caught that fish. Did you even give the boy a try after I departed?
I truly love that river. The old brain is flooded with 25+ year old memories every time I visit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm 
Brown Trout

It was good to meet you yesterday. Watched you do pretty well on that step in the river below where I went in. Very nice :)

We got over late. Guess it worked out. Blackflies were abundant up toward the grates.

Saw some deer in a sort of weird place.

Caught quite a few fish on larvae and dries alike.

My favorite fish pic this trip.

Knox offered me a cast on that big fish I declined he was doing it better than I could have. I sat back on a clump of grass and cast to some close fish. Missed a lot of bites. Probably should have stood up :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:17 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Hooked the bastard today. He was still in the same area. Put on a split case (no bead) with some shot 2 feet above. First good cast and he ate followed by some nasty head shakes, one long run and he threw the fly....... On another note- sulfurs hatched this afternoon! -Knox

"Say I won't!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 pm 
Brown Trout

nice pics -heading that way next week so I hope there is a few that doesnt have sore lips. Hope some of the green bugs get ripe and turn yellow by then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm 
Brown Trout

Quote...." these were likely shucks from the most recent nymphal molt".

That shows you how little I know about bugs. I've been wondering where all the duns have been.....been seeing the sulfur shucks this year and in past years when no bugs were hatching...couldn't figure that one out :shock: . Dumb me kept going further and further upstream trying to find nonexistent hatches :oops: .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:11 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Awwww shucks! Dadjummit! (spit on the ground) I thought they only molted when they were hatching! Any good patterns for shucks (floating split case, goober that's epoxied on a hook, trebble hook with shucks on each hook)? I think I even saw some shucks with tiny 1/16 gold beads ;) -Knox

"Say I won't!"