southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cranberry Glades
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm back from an extended stay in WV. We camped right on the Cranberry River and I must say I was thouroughly impressed with the area. Pretty much every type of fishing you could want within a 30-45 minute drive. I camped with a pretty diverse group. I seemed to be the only one that wanted to flyfish every waking moment. 2 guys fished with powerbait for stockers and couldn't understand why I would want to hike anywhere or fish for fish I couldn't keep. They made up for it by being excellant camp cooks,though. We ate deer steak, deer tenderloin, deer jerkey, marinated deer meet and deer sausage. It was all delicious. The other two flyfisherman wanted to stay close to the campsite most of the time. When not fishing; the cocktails, food and stories flowed continually. Our campsite was literally on the banks of the river.

Soooooo, day one I took off on my own to fish a Catch and Release area of the Cranberry called Woodbine. Very impressive stretch of water. Much bigger than your average WNC stream and had a healthy population of fish. There were bugs coming off sporadically throughout the day, but saw very little action on top. First fish of the day was a nice 12-14" rainbow off a pheasant tail that put on a nice aerial display. As I played him out, I reached for my net and realized it must have gotten caught on something and was now probably hanging from a tree.... I played the fish into some shallow water and reached in my vest for the camera which I immediately dropped in the river... released the fish and then reached for my skoal which I also dropped in the river... Seeing as that was my third strike I thought I better sit down for a second. I looked at the camera and quickly realilzed I would not be sharing any photos. I fished the remaining catch and release section with some mild success. Mostly rainbows with a few small browns. This was a really nice section of water that was not that hard to access and I was the only one there all day. Drove back to the campsite and fished the middle heavily stocked section with the rest of the crew for some golden trout and rainbows. There is a road that follows the middle section for about 10 or so miles so there was a fair amount of people, but it never felt crowded. The biggest thing I noticed was that spin fisherman outnumbered flyfisherman about 3-1. Later that afternoon I rode my bike to an area called "Behind the Gates". Just as it sounds, there is a gate that blocks any motorized traffic for about 15-20miles. There are some campsites along the water, but after about a mile or so I was completely alone. Once again absolutely beautiful stretch of water. Fishing was outstanding for about 3 hours. I was in a dry fly mood and so were the fish. I tied some black caddis for the trip and it seemed to be the ticket. Saw some mayfly's coming off, but not sure what they were. About sz16 and brown, an Adams in that size seemed to work.

Day two I talked one of the other flyfishermen that grew up in this area to show me around. We hit up several local creeks. All were extremely beautiful and once again, there were no people anywhere. We did a little hiking, but for the most part, it was roadside fishing. Everyone flocked to the stocked sections, but if you saw a sign that said "catch and release" or "No bait" you pretty much had the stream to yourself. The area is literaly full of streams and they all hold fish.

Day three we took an extremely long hike(8miles) to fish a brookie stream. The hike in and out about killed us...and we hiked too much and fished too little, but when we got there the brookies cooperated. I caught numerous in the 10-12 " range and my buddy caught several in the 14" range. The hike was even more painful when I looked at a map when we got back and realized there was a trail that would have put us on the same stretch of water in about 1.5 miles...

There are numerous fishing opportunities in that area and I just scratched the surface of them. I chalked this up to an exploration trip and will put this down as an annual excursion. The streams and the area are absolutely beautiful. Saw all kinds of wildlife on once you got away from the crowds. Campsites and trails were well maintained.

Interesting note in that there are liming stations on most of the headwaters streams in that area. In the 80's the acid rain was so bad that the area was almost devoid of fish. They installed liming stations to change the PH levels and its been a huge success. We saw several during some of our hikes. Kind of strange to walk down to a stream and see a huge pile of crushed limestone, but the fish seemed to enjoy it.

One of the guys we were with took some photos, so I'll post them at a later date. Right now I am still trying to get back into a work routine after a long weekend of fishing, drinking and eating with very little sleep. Sounds similar to a trip that happens every year in E Tenn :D

Post subject: Re: Cranberry Glades
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:20 pm 
Rainbow Trout

JFey - I enjoyed the report. I used to fish and camp in the Cranberry area in my youth. I hope you dug and ate some ramps while you were there. The ramps are a delicacy in that area this time of year and a wonderful spring tonic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:58 pm 
Brook Trout

sounds like a great trip. But a couple of things were missing, no rain and no stomp and no standing around in the rain drinking stomp! Guess you'll have to got o Shady Vally for that.

pt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:52 pm 
Brown Trout

We did eat a few ramps, forgot how potent they are. My tent is still airing out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 pm 
Brown Trout

I was able to get a few pics with my iPhone, but since I had already dropped my camera I was a little gun shy...

Typical Cranberry rainbow

Nobody wanted to fish for these wild ones... I wsn't complaining!

Wildcat rock

My 1st WV brookie

My 2nd

Brookies in every run on this stream

Headwater liming station. The water above this station was extremely stained

Found some snow near the top of a mountain. Ground temp was 56 degrees

small trib of the Cranberry

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

The Cranberry is one of my favorite places to go. I'll be there June 2nd through the 6th, and this is our (my college buddies and I) 21st year in a row.

The Woodbine Catch and Release is nice, but the upper Catch and Release is even better. We camp down by the gates, then take one car and the bikes up to the Glades. We then ride the 16 miles from the top of the mountain back down to camp, fishing the Catch and Release and remaining water along the way. The catch and release section up there is stunning.

Looks like you enjoyed Dogway...it's a special place.