southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Per The Boyd's Request-- Fri. and Sat.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:19 pm 
Brown Trout

My wife informed me last week she was headed off this weekend to go to N.C. for a weekend of scrapbooking. My twins had their sorority formal Friday so I decided it was time to head North to Bassett. I informed the twins not to do anything illegal, because if they got into trouble they were on their own. I told my 81 year old mother not to work in the yard or to pick up anything heavy for the same reasons. After I had all of my females in more or less control I left Hartsville around 2:00 Friday and headed out. I checked into the Ridgeway Hilton about a mile from Dean's house, changed clothes and hit the river. I started downstream and fished for about an hour with a beetle and caught around 8. At about seven I hopped back into the car and I went upstream a ways to my sulpher hole to field test a cripple an illustrious member of this forum had given me. It wasn't a really fair test because no buggies were hatching, but I caught 4 fish and missed a couple more in about 30 minutes. It wasn't a bad couple of hours of fishing. I went back to the Hilton, called Dean and Ralph, checked on all my females and went to bed. Dean was going to hunt me and Ralph down after lunch. At eight or so the next morning the phone rang and it was Ralph. He told me where he was going to be fishing and we agreed to keep in touch. I headed back downriver fishing my beetle and caught about 10 in about 2 hours. I could never get wired in, but I would pick up a couple here and a few more there. I went back to the car and I had a message from Ralph. He was just downstream from me. I rode downstream, saw his car, parked and walked down the river, talked to Ralph for a minute and headed back upstream. (Walking down the river I saw somebody in shorts fishing a flyrod standing on a rock. I knew Ralph hadn't felt particularly well this week but he hadn't said anything about going nuts. I was sort of relieved when I saw Ralph a little downstream from there) When I got to where I was going to fish I switched to a beetle I had played around with this winter. I caught six right off the bat. I went around some riffles and started fishing a big pool. I started off catching a few here and a few there until all of a sudden I started catching stupid rainbows on what seemed like every cast. Quite frankly I got sick of rainbows after a while. Then I moved up a ways and started catching browns on every cast. I told Flyman I think that pool has segregated cafeterias. Finally it started raining and the fish quit. I had drunk all of my green tea I had with me, I was tired and had 2 cigaretts left in my pocket. No fear here comes Dean tooling by, so I had an excuse to quit. I followed Dean down to where we figured Ralph was. We found his car and stopped and talked for awhile. Dean headed back to Ridgeway and I walked downstream where I could see Ralph if he headed out. I caught 5 more in a few more minutes until I saw Ralph fishing down below me. I went and talked to Ralph for a few minutes and headed on home. It was as good as it gets on that river for me, and I am still tired. As usual it was great to see Ralph and Dean.

Post subject: Re: Per The Boyd's Request-- Fri. and Sat.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:30 pm 
Brown Trout

I also caught the smallest fish I have ever caught on a beetle. This one is for me, Rick and Don. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:17 pm 
Brown Trout

5x do I need to tie any of those yellow bugs I gave you at the first TU meeting? Might work on the Holston

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Very nice :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Ben,

Pretty sporty right there, my friend. Nice pics and a neat-o report.
4 inch brown on a beetle !! Good to see a stream born fish on tha Smith
JT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:23 pm 
Brook Trout

well done ben!

pt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm 
Brown Trout

Good report Nub. Glad to see you had a great weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Here is a picture of a modern day fish vacuum cleaner!

J.T. All of the browns in the Smith are wild. They have been reproducing since the late 1950s or early 1960's. The wildlife department hasn't stocked any browns in the river in decades.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 am 
Brown Trout

Nub told me all about the trip....he seemed to be pretty excited ...he talked faster and louder than he usually does :lol: ......but he declined to share any details of the new beetle :twisted:

I told Nubby some of them fish looked to be 14 or 15 inches....then I remembered he has midget arms :o :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm 
Brook Trout

I see the Townsend beetle variation is still working good. I would never have thought to tie them on hooks that large, or to use orange foam for the underbody :)