southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Salmon River steelhead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:44 am 
Rainbow Trout

After experiencing more than a decade ago, the zoo that is fishing on New York's Salmon River in the fall for Kings and Cohos, I vowed never to return.

A friend, who guides on the river, however convinced me that the spring is much less crowded and that the target is steelhead. Two friends and I made the trip last week and fished for four days.

Due to low water conditions -- you know all those heavy snows we got down here they belonged to Lake Ontario -- the river was more crowded than normal for the spring run, but it was manageable and were able to hike into a number of holes that we had to ourselves.

We fished the upper river, east of the I-81 bridge to the upper fly zone. We caught fish every day. A friend caught the biggest of the trip a 14-pound drop back steelie (add 30 percent to the weight for prespawn and it would have been about an 18 pound fish). Most of the fish we caught were in the 6-8 pound range and I landed a couple that pushed the 10-pound mark.

Most of our fish fell to streamers swung downstream. A "thunk" was a fish that was interested but not committed. "Thunk, thunk" was fish on. And we had a few grab and goes where big fish hit so hard and fast that they popped your 15-pound tippet no matter how lose the drag.

Other than the steelhead fishing the most impressive sights were the bug hatches -- blanket Hendrickson hatches and spinner falls, followed by blizzards of caddis. The only thing I have ever seen come close was a mega sulfur hatch on the Soho a few years back.

9ft4wt

Post subject: Re: Salmon River steelhead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice report, 9'.

Man, I've always wanted to catch a steelhead. I'm jealous. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:11 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks, Dan. You have a gift for seeing a lot of things on your fishing trips besides the fish.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:49 pm 
Brown Trout

Well that IS awesome. Although I've never fished for Steelhead I hear it's a rip. Big fish always make you smile. And when you get into their world and rythm it can be a day to remember. Big Reds and Snook are like that for me, still.
Thanks for the report. It's good you got reintroduced to em so maybe you'll go back.

SF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Looks like the Salmon is getting not just crowded but violent.....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/two_people_to_be_arraigned_in.html

Take Care,
Timbros.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 am 
Rainbow Trout

Our guide was telling us about that case. He said the three men who beat the other person were all related and were a rough group who have caused problems on the river before. He said he hoped their arrest would send a strong message that might help clean up some of the problems on the river.

9ft4wt