southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Upstate New York Last Week
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Thanks for letting me in Disco, and howdy everyone! Here's a little trip report from up New York way. I had to go there for work, but managed to squeeze a little rec time in.

When visiting the cradle of American Flyfishing a guy wants to see everything even though there is only a day in which to do it. Though tempting, I decided it would be best to visit one location for the whole day rather than frantically hitting stream after stream, spending much of my fishing time in the car.

Hit a nice stream after a moderate hike. Got their around 8 am with a little lunch packed (including some fudge brownies my buddy's girlfriend made that were like delicious soft chocolate bricks) and intended to spend the day streamside.

Around 11 or so the caddis started popping. I just don't get to see these kinds of hatches fishing down south (I do most of my fishing in the smokies). I'm sure it happens, but not like this!

Caught plenty of brown trout on dries, mostly caddis but there were some hendircksons that came off and I was sure to pickup a couple using some fresh off the vice versions I whipped up before I left home.

When the fish were sick of rising, I managed to fool an equal number on beadhead caddis subsurface. Seemed like every rock had another fish to fool.

I'd like to say I had some 20+ fish day, but I didn't. Plenty of fish caught, but also plenty of sitting on rocks, laying under trees and just admiring the beauty of the area.

Only 23 more years to retirement, then I can do this stuff everyday....sheesh.

Take Care,
Timbros.

Post subject: Re: Upstate New York Last Week
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Bradley vouched for ya...so I don't know what that says about yer character :D :D Nice report and pics and those heavy caddis hatches can be sic. Good to have Tim.

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:13 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice work, Tim! There are some gorgeous streams up there that I fish when I visit the in laws. Is that the Willowemoc by any chance?
Now you need to show off some of yer mad tyin' skillz.
If y'all ain't seen his flies, they are just sick, nasty, and wronng! (My son says that this means they are really good!)
Welcome to our campfire, sir.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Streamer,

I'll give you a hint. It's not the Bea-moc but it's one of the big famous streams. Next time you go up that way, let me know and I'll give you a spot that produces mostly 14-17" wild browns. It's almost impossible to have a bad day there. You can pick up a few brookies near the tribs too!

Thanks for the kind words about tying. Here's some Harrop-ish style duns I ripped off a recent fish rag article.

Take Care,
Timbros.