southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need Answers
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:21 pm 
Brown Trout

Question Begs.....I caught two big rainbows today out of the same hole that are much longer, fatter and broader than any I've ever seen on the SoHo. They actually looked and fought like big steelhead. Both fish came out of the same hole within a 20 minute period. Something just doesn't add up here :o . I was wondering if the TWRA ever stocks the river with their brood fish :?: . If not, where could they have come from ? Pellet fish brought from another piece of water ???

What really confuses me is that they were both really colored up...big wide red bands down their sides, blazing red gill plates, white tipped fins and deep colors on the back, sides and belly.

Post subject: Re: Need Answers
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:25 pm 
Brown Trout

"What really confuses me is that they were both really colored up...big wide red bands down their sides, blazing red gill plates, white tipped fins and deep colors on the back, sides and belly."

What a horrible problem to consider, Blake. Henheheheh. I feel so bad for you. :D

P.S. -- When can I come fish with you?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:57 pm 
Brown Trout

Yeah Phil :roll: ...it took me about 8 years of year round fishing to finally run into this problem :shock: .

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm 
Brown Trout

I edited, Blake. Please go back and read. Sometime in late June, maybe? Or July? or early August?
During the week to avoid the weekend crowds?

PM me. Ohhh, I forgot. You don't PM. I'll call ya on yer phone (the one you never answer). :D

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:06 pm 
Brown Trout

Maybe they came out of the lake? You haven't been fishing any trout ponds, have you? :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:43 pm 
Brown Trout

Sounds cool. Wish I lived 10' from such a problem :) Someday maybe I'll get back that way :?:

This one stumped me from earlier over there. Up at the 'grates' on high flow.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:05 am 
Rainbow Trout

Blake those are lake-run. I'm out the door to hit musky but I'll tell you the genetics of it tonite when I get back.

Last wednesday on the bottom end I caught 14 rainbows, all colored up in spawning colors; they all fought like a beast, way better than the single brown I caught; I caught these all in one hole just above the lake. One was 22", and I watched Guitou land a 24" (rainbow) right above me.

Within any given population of rainbows (& other trouts), a certain percentage (depending on the strain) will go downstream until they hit a lake or ocean, thus becoming steelhead.

more later, muskies are calling!!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:04 am 
Rainbow Trout

sorry, got in late tonite after chasing musky, and I have a guide trip tomorrow (just found out today), so I don't have time to write anything tonite.

we raised at least a dozen musky today on flies, and at least 4 were over 42"; Rusty finally landed a small one around maybe 34"; we took a couple pics & revived it & released it & went on fishing, floating down about 100 yards over the next 15 minutes. then the fish we just caught came swimming/bobbing down to us on the surface, upside down & dying; we picked it up & it was shredded from head to tail from getting almost eaten by another musky that must have been pretty big (I know of a 54" that was caught/released out of that same hole). we took some pics of the teeth marks & gashes, and I'll try to post them soon. Now I'm gonna have to put away the 10"-14" flies & start tying 30" flies....hmmm....

more about the Tannassee Steelbow Rainheads in a day or 2 ok?