southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Saturday--Bassett and Beyond
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 pm 
Brown Trout

I headed back to Bassett Saturday. I had checked the generation schedule Friday and they were supposed to be generating from 2 until 6 Saturday. I figured I would fish downstream until around 5:30 and would head upstream and be waiting when they cut the water off and follow it down until dark. When I arrived in Bassett around 2 it had just finished a pretty serious thunderstorm. I sat in the car for a while until the rain slacked off and the lightning passed. I finally hopped out and started fishing. I caught a few in the first spot in between showers. I did catch a couple of decent browns in this spot, though. When it was raining it was dead. I headed back downstream after about an hour and went to the spot I had been fishing on the way home the last few trips. I figured I had about 45 minutes before the water came up. I did pretty good for a while. I looked at my watch and decided I had better hit the road before I got washed downstream. As I rode through Bassett I noticed there was no water generating. I called the number for the generation schedule and it had been changed to no generation. Well I guess that beats the heck out of generating when they say they aren't. I rode on upstream a ways and hit the water again. It was a little slow for the first 20 minutes and then they started cranking up. I had about an hour when it was about as good as it gets on this river ( for me at least). I got in a pod of decent sized rainbows that had gotten overlooked apparently. I saw no bugs to speak of, and as usual for this time of the year I caught everything on beetles. I did see one other fly fisherman. He hopped in the water in front of me about the time I was beginning to realize I could not feel my toes anymore. He couldn't see me because of the fog. I had all of the fun I could stand anyway, so it gave me an excuse to head home.

Post subject: Re: Saturday--Bassett and Beyond
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:16 pm 
Brook Trout

Still killing them on that Townsend beetle aren't you. You must have bought a life time supply of those things :twisted: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:36 pm 
Brown Trout

"You must have bought a life time supply of those things " Expensive little suckers, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 am 
Rainbow Trout

I was fishing just below the dam on Saturday evening, watching trout sip small flying ants like they were going out of style!! The whole time pulling my hair out trying to match that small ant, probably around size 20-22. Finally I decided to go to the other extreme and put a rather large size 12 beetle on and they went nuts for it. Heck with these small flies up there!! I am feeding them beetles and hoppers for the rest of the summer!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:55 pm 
Brown Trout

"I was fishing just below the dam on Saturday evening" You probably drove past me. I was upriver at around 6. I was going to go on upstream but there was nobody at my second spot, so I said the heck with it and started fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Rainbow Trout

5xTippett wrote:
"I was fishing just below the dam on Saturday evening" You probably drove past me. I was upriver at around 6. I was going to go on upstream but there was nobody at my second spot, so I said the heck with it and started fishing.

We started about midways of the field below the dam and fished up to the grassy spot there just below the dam.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:02 pm 
Brown Trout

I never made it that far up. If they had left the generation schedule alone I would have seen you!