southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SoHo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:28 pm 
Brown Trout

I loaded my twins in the car Thursday morning and we headed to Mr. Boyd's abode. After six hours of driving we arrived in Bristol. I unloaded my 20 year old squirts, rigged up and hit the river. I arrived just as the water was dropping and started fishing. I caught fish on dries for an hour. It was fun and I actually had the water to myself. I fished beetles primarily Friday except for a couple of hours on high water. Blakey carried me to a pool where they were eating them pretty good for an hour or so. We went to the supper at River's Way Friday night so I missed the best part of the day. Saturday I caught a few on beetles early and then Blakey forced me to fish soft hackles for a while! :lol: I then went back to where I fished Thursday and hit the water as the pulse was going down. The sun was shining and it was slower for the first hour or so. I would catch 2 or 3 on a fly, switch and do the same on another fly. When the spinners started showing up I switched one more time. I started catching fish hand over fist. It finally got too dark to see my fly and I would just set the hook when I saw a white flash. It finally dawned on me that it was a full moon and I was fishing in the dark. It was great to see Peewee, Dean, and Ralph who all caught fish all day long. Thanks, Blakey.

Post subject: Re: SoHo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Nice pics. What's up with the mutant brown? Still the beetles huh? I may have to meet up with you sometime just so I can see the secret weapon up close. Glad you had a good time streamside!

Take Care,
Timbros.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:11 pm 
Brown Trout

Good to see yea Ben and those bodyguards you have seemed like a chip off the ole block.Thanks Blake for opening your home to such as me and giving all the tips on catching some fish.Got to meet some new people and had to spend some time with the mayor Jack and his Wife. The festival was a good change from the river but hard to put down the fishing gear.Knox it was good to finally meet you and say thanks for all the effort you put in at Rivers Way...the success is in the smiles ;) Ralph what can you say ---the man can go into the chicken house and come out with a fish sandwich--thanks for all you have done for ole smoke.My fishing partner Dean as always a great time and we might just go back --whatcha think???couple of pics--embarrassed bow for eating my hairballs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:48 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Hey it was good to get on the water for three days of fishing. Never fished a river that is so beautiful and has so many fish. Enjoyed meeting Ben's girls and spending some time with Ben and Blake. Like to thank Ralph for all the help with learning of some new bugs. And PeeWee for well, being a good friend and fishing partner. Ready to go again soon. Enjoyed the time spent at Riversway at the festival. And it was good to meet Knox. It was a good time spent, and I even got a pat on the back from JT :).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 pm 
Brown Trout

As always, great to be with Dean, Peewee and Ben....not to mention the SoHo man himself Blake. Arrived at first light on Thursday and fished until around noon when I went hunting Dean and Peewee. Didn't find them but did run into Blake and got the river keeper Jack to sign my book for me. Back to the water to fish until the water from the generation hit.

Got to visit some with everyone Thursday evening.

Friday back on the water where I fished the morning before. More folks on the river but still managed to catch a few fish. Back down to stay ahead of the pulse and then fish until generation hit at 6. Driving back up river spotted Dean and Peewee heading to Rivers Way for Bar-B-Que supper. Caught back up with them and Ben. Blake gave us a tour of the river from the Rivers Way property.......parts of the river not seen too often by lots of folks.

Back to Blake's house to learn a new SH pattern and tie a few flies.

Fished with Peewee and Dean Sat. morning until we left the river at 2 to go to the Fly Fishing Expo. Attended the expo in the heat of the afternoon. Met Don Holbrook, author of Midge Magic made the afternoon worth while to say the least. Saw Lefty doing a casting demo. Ran into some old friend and new folks that I had just met the night before or Sat. morning.

Back to the river for some evening fishing. Off the river at 9 and back to Blake's to see if I could tie a few more of that new pattern! Had the pleasure of visiting with Ben and his two lovely daughters. Met another of Blake's SoHo friends and even got three flies tied.

Dean and Peewee were up early to head back on Sunday. We had breakfast together and I headed to the river for some more fishing. Finished the day Sunday at 8:45 and back to the truck to start the dreaded drive home. Drive isn't too bad, it's just that I was driving home!

Thanks to Peewee and Dean for letting me share their quarters. Blake, thanks for showing and letting me tie up a few of those SH's. Ben and his fair ladies....it's always a pleasure to see ya'll.

Great weekend with some really great folks on the SoHO. Can't wait until the next time.!