southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smith -Spiders and decent fish
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:40 pm 
Brown Trout

My wife was still out of town so I headed back Friday afternoon to Ridgeway. I was running late so I changed clothes at the motel and headed upstream to catch the falling water. I forgot it takes longer for the water to drop than rise so I had to sit around for a while. When it started dropping I hopped in and started fishing. I fished for about an hour and caught nine fairly decent fish. It is no fun wading downstream on didymo covered rocks in the dark. I went back to the motel to watch tv and hit the rack. I over slept the next morning and did not wake up untill 9. I had already decided I was going to fish different spots from where I normally fish and see how that would go. I started in upper Bassett and fished for 2 hours and caught a grand total of 5 fish, two of which were rainbows, one of which had a pretty serious bite out of his back. I surrendered and hopped back in the car and headed to another spot. I ran through 3 spider webs in the short jaunt from the car to the river, the last of which had a rather large spider in the middle of it. I jumped in the river and picked the spider webs out of my hair and teeth and started fishing. I caught one little brown right off the bat and then I saw nothing moving at all. Finally I saw something move in the shallows under some bushes. I eased up and cast under the bushes and the fished sipped it. I set the hook and the fish bran straight at me. As he swam by me I realized he was a nice fish. I then realized I wasn't on the SoHo and I decided he was a really nice fish for the Smith. As he swam by me again I realized my name isn't Peewee, Ralph or Dean and that was probably going to be my biggest fish on the Smith. I got him and actually used my net. He was right at 16 inches and fat and pretty. That stretch died, so I headed to another spot to finish up. I picked up 8 or 9 more browns and the something hit and I got him in and it was a redbreast! I fished for a while with no more luck. I sat and watched a guy cast like he was on TV. Walked back downstream to where I had started and reeled in and saw a tree across the river I had fished coming up river with no luck. I decided to give it another try. I caught 2 more fish in short order. The last one was nipping at 15 inches. It was not a great weekend in numbers, but the size was a definite improvement.

Post subject: Re: Smith -Spiders and decent fish
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice bunch of fish 5X so get on the other side of the river and leave these alone. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Brown Trout

Wee Pee, I took the picture of the one in the net from the wrong side! :o Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:30 pm 
Brown Trout

Nub....I thought that gash on the rainbow was from the ass whoopin you gave him??? Glad ya had another good day.....sorry for not returning your call the other day... I've been runnin' hard. :roll: