southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Western NC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:42 am 
Brown Trout

My whole family decided to head to the mountains for a few days. All the women headed home Saturday afternoon, so I decided to fish for a few hours. I had brought my little 30 year old Sharpes Scottie that I hadn't fished in a couple of years, so I headed to a small stream first. I tied on a Thunderhead for a few minutes and rapidly discovered that wasn't the ticket. I changed to an orange palmer and it was fish out of every likely spot until I got tired of it. I fished for less than an hour and caught about nine or ten rainbows. That was enough of that dinky stuff. I hopped back in the car and headed for some bigger water. I parked, changed rods, and started walking. I found one pool that looked promising. I saw a fish move, cast and caught a 16 inch brown. I moved up a little further and cast again and caught a 18 incher. That was that for that pool. I walked back to the car and headed downstream. I found another spot that looked promising and hopped out and realized the pool was too deep for my beetles. I looked upstream and there was a decent pool for what I wanted to do. I headed that way and caught one 12 inch brown. I hopped in the car and headed for the four hour drive home.

Post subject: Re: Western NC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Tennessee and now North Carolina :? - Did the Henry County sheriff run you out of Virginia? :o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:24 pm 
Brown Trout

Naah, Al. This was short vacation time, spoil the girls and take my 81 year old mother off time. I am missing the Smith big time. I am ready to catch some pretty browns. Smaller but prettier!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:42 pm 
Brown Trout

Looks like the mountains treated you ok. Glad you had a good trip.Missed your call so will try you later.