southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 10/24 Small Stream
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:55 pm 
Brown Trout

Went out with a friend to check out a stream I have been wanting to visit for some time. Like most trips to a new stream, we spend a good part of the morning driving around on stone roads through the mountains. Thankfully I had my Delorme Gazetteer or we may still be driving. After making three wrong turns, we turned down the only road we hadn't tried yet and made it to our destination.

After checking out the water, we were pretty excited to start fishing. Looked like picture perfect trout stream. Tied on a stimi and dropper and went to work. Well, the first 4 or 5 were hot, as long as you were after warpaint shiners... Not sure what was going on downstream, but I didn't care to find out. After hiking about a mile or so upstream, things started getting much better. Rainbows and browns were attacking the dry as soon as it hit the water. Nice healthy wild fish. We were lovin it. They came incident #1...

First cast into a nice run a nice, healthy brown nailed the dry and since I hadn't bothered to check my knot, it preceded to break. I didn't mind that much since we were starting to get into pretty good. I reached for my tippet spool and noticed it no longer attached to my vest and was now floating down the set of stairstep rapids behind me... I went after it, preceded to fall on my azz and watched it disappear. 6 spools of relatively new tippet gone. Not the end of the world, but now I had no tippet

I headed upstream and came up on an absolutely beautiful pool. The water was coming through a hugh rock crevice and emptied into a pool that was probably 15-20ft deep. Brown trout heaven. First cast and a daddy brown hit the dry and the fight was on, for about 10 seconds as he quickly ran me under a big rock and broke me off. Picked up a few of his younger brothers, but was pretty bummed about missing the fish, so I decided I needed to get above the waterfall which appeared to be feasible by climbing up the mountain next to it. Got about 3/4 the way up and ran into a 15 foot rock face. Not really feeling like I need to tempt fate at the moment, I decided to head back down. It was pretty much straight down so I was sliding down on my rear when incident #2 happened…

I felt something on my hand as I was sliding and instantly recognized there were two hornets stinging me… yep, slid right through a damn hornets nest! I don’t know what the record time would be in a 40 yard dash while wearing waders, boots, vest and holding a fly rod, but I am sure I was close. I flew down the rest of the mountain jumped down several rocks and took off downstream. In the process, they got me 7 times on the arms and one little sob that got down the back of my shirt. I finally got away from them and one trailer snuck up and got me on the back of the neck as I was catching my breath. I didn’t recall being allergic, but I found my buddy, who was casually fishing a run by the way, and we got out into civilization just in case. Luckily, I was fine other than some massive welts that itch like crazy

Even with the incidents, I was pretty happy about the stream and I now know where several big browns live. I’ll be going back to that big pool with a streamer soon!

Its getting late, will post some pics tomorrow

Last edited by JFey on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 10/24 Small Stream
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 am 
Brook Trout

Dam, sounds like a story i would tell! that kind of stuff is not called incidents when I fish, it is called normal!
Sounds like a great trip, good on ya. I'll be posting a report from Lee's Ferry in the morning.

if you feel like some UBE this week, let me know.

pt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:35 am 
Brown Trout

Damn Jeff,
sorry about the ass busting ,bees and $50 worth of tippet swimming off.

But you found a good stream. You paid the Blue -liners price.
Everything that happened to you has happened to me on blue lines. :o

JT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Brown Trout

Yup, wasn't all that upset based on the stream and knowing where a few big browns live. I think I got off lucky based on the amount of hornets fly around after I slid over ther home!

Here are some pics from the trip

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:59 am 
Brook Trout

Very nice. Bluelinin' will definitely take it out of ya!