southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I went fishing!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:25 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

With it being Thanksgiving, I decided to take a little time off. Since I had meetings last week, I decided to take Monday and Tuesday off this week. Hadn't necessarily planned on fishing but then thought what the heck, I haven't got anything else planned. So on Friday Mrs wilhelm and I stopped by Richard's place to see if I could pick his brains. Since Mrs wilhelm was with me, he was cordial and suggested an egg pattern (cringe) trailed by a small midge. After buying some flies from him we set off to visit a couple wineries up in the Yadkin Valley. I'm telling you all this, because on the way home Mrs wilhelm's car went WHHEEEeeee, Ying! Ying! Ying! and we drove the last 30 miles in 1st gear.

Okay I'll take the car in and get late start on Monday.

Following the tow truck with Mrs wilhelm's car on it to the dealership, I notice a pretty yellow light on my dashboard. LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE! That's one I hadn't seen before and the gauge is at zero. Then all of a sudden, pressure was back so after leaving her car, I took my car to where I have it serviced. After a couple of hours and a couple hundred dollars I had a new sensor, oil change and a lube. (Speaking later with Mrs wilhelm, she said "Oh yeah that came on yesterday, I meant to tell you." And she says we don't talk anymore.)

I won't bore you with the construction and the one lane traffic on north bound I-77 but I finally made it to Stone Mountain and got in the water about 1:30. I started at the pool by the pedestrian bridge with the sign that says no camping. First thing I noticed was there were fish rising. Second thing I noticed was that they wouldn't rise to my dry fly. I don't know when last it was stocked, but I saw a lot of fish. Moved upstream, tied on an egg (cringe) and small pheasant tail and picked one up on the PT. Took a short walk downstream to look about and saw another pod of fish. In that light everything looked brown and dark and it was real tough to see them without spooking them. I saw a lot of fish.

Finished where I started catching two more on the egg pattern (cringe). Left at 4:00 so it really wasn't a bad day for 2 1/2 hours. Did see lots of beaver sign along the stream and before leaving saw him swimming in the pool where I caught the first. Fun day, maybe I can fit another one in between now and next Thanksgiving.

wilhelm

Post subject: Re: I went fishing!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:59 pm 
Brown Trout

Tim, you don't have to apologize for Stone Mt. It is what it is. The E. Prong is actually a pretty stream, and those stocked trout aren't all that easy to catch. When you do get a hookup, they put a bend in your rod and a smile on your face. Ain't nothing wrong with that either. Oh yeah, that 3rd fish may be stream born, it's a bit small for a stocker.

Glad you had a good urn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:41 pm 
Brown Trout

Gosh thats a huge net.. has it been so long since you last fished you forgot how small they were or were you just being optimistically prepared :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am glad you made it out Tim, we do need to get together and go fish one day. Fishing with Wilhelm is number 19 on my bucket list :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:32 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Devinsdad wrote:
Gosh thats a huge net.. has it been so long since you last fished you forgot how small they were or were you just being optimistically prepared :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am glad you made it out Tim, we do need to get together and go fish one day. Fishing with Wilhelm is number 19 on my bucket list :roll: :mrgreen:

Big net? You know I sent those pictures to my sister earlier today and her response was "Those are pretty little fish." I don't plan on showing them to Mrs wilhelm now.

I knew I was on one of your lists but wasn't sure which one. Yeah, that would be cool.

wilhelm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:57 pm 
Brook Trout

Nice fish. I enjoyed the pre-fish narrative and can definitely sympathize - I know that wheeeee! ying, ying, ying noise too. In my case it's been 3 separate trips to the shop for a new engine computer. At $900 a pop, I'm lucky the 2nd 2 were covered by warranty but it's still a giant hassle. Hopefully, this last one is good but the whole experience certainly doesn't say much for Dodge's quality control.

Anybody in the market for a 10 year old Durango with 180k miles on it? I'll let it go cheap... :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

dshort wrote:
Anybody in the market for a 10 year old Durango with 180k miles on it? I'll let it go cheap... :)

Would you trade for a Yukon XL with 219,000?

wilhelm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 pm 
Brook Trout

wilhelm wrote:
dshort wrote:

Would you trade for a Yukon XL with 219,000?

wilhelm

Only if it requires less than 2 visits to the shop per month. I'm looking to trade up...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:25 am 
Rainbow Trout

Tim,

Glad you folks stopped in...it's always a pleasure to see Mrs. Wilhelm!

And, glad you terrorized some trout who obviously recognize a good meal when they see it drifting by. When (if) you stop in again, I have some aquatic worm patterns (cringe) that work as good or better than eggs (cringe)...and I can refer you to a good local mechanic (cringe) who is very sympathetic towards fly fishermen.

Looking forward to your next visit...Thurs. night for tying class and BBQ (cringe)?...Friday night...Holiday Open House?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
Brown Trout

As a fly-tying neophyte, I'm unfamiliar with your cringe egg, Wilhelm. Unless this is some Teutonic secret pattern, devised to catch (What else?) German brown trout, would you mind sharing your cringe egg? And as to the cretins negatively commenting about the size of your hard-won trout in relation to your salmon net, the first cut throat I ever caught swam through the mesh in my net. Living proof that size does matter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:12 am 
Brown Trout

Tim,

Welcome to the dark side.

:D