southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soho 6-26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:37 am 
Rainbow Trout

Had a chance to squeeze in a few hours on the SoHo Yesterday. Started fishing a little before 10 a.m.

Rigged up with a 14-foot, 6x leader and a sulfur compara dun with a zebra dropper.

First cast huge strike from a decent brown.I missed the hook set and everything went to ****. Had to rerig-- building the leader back out and tieing the fly and dropper back on.

Got all that done and went to cast and found the long leader had gotten tangled in the net rig. Tried to take the net off and it got caught in the zipper of the pack pack. Necessitated a trip to the far shore to untangle and rerig again.

Starting to feel the trip was doomed by screw ups but waded back out.

Hooked four decent trout --including a 14 inch wild rainbow that jumped 5 times -- all on the zebra midge. Missed a nice fish on the dry. All this happened in 20 minutes.

Thought man this is going to be a great day. then everything shut down. Fished 4 hours more without a bite.

But have to say I saw more fish and more big fish than I have ever seen. They were laying up on the flats. Found several slow water holes about 3 feet deep that probably held 20-30 fish . Super spooky and not intererted in anything. I swear i threw at five fish over 25 inches and saw a bunch of fish in the 18-22 inch range.

If your line went over them they scattered. So I was carfeul to get the distance to the side and cast from an angle\ at 50 -60 feet and mend like crazy. But even if the line did not spook them as the fly and dropper drifted over they would part like the red sea. Think I saw about 6 risers all day and maybe that many sulfurs.

Talked to another fly angler and a spin fisherman and they reported the same thing.

Once again humbled by the SOHO. But it was a great learning experience to see how the fish reacted to fly lines over head and wading noise. Think I became a quiter wader today.

9f4wt