southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Presidents Day TR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 pm 
Brown Trout

Had the day off on Monday, so Jkelly and I decided to head West from Charlotte and hit up a blue line we hadn't fished in a while. When we got to the turn off the Forest Road gate was closed, so after a quick consult with Mr Delorme, we were gearing up at a new trailhead. The weather was outstanding for Feb. Mid 60's all day and only a bit of wind. Nothing like the 15-20 mph they were calling for. Fished JT's favorite dry dropper combo; Sz 14 thunderhead with a Telico dropper for most of the day. The bite was solid all day on both. The fish were out of the deep pools and in the riffles and feeding lanes and hungry. Outstanding fishing, company and weather made for a good day.

The hike in

Where the trail ended

Jay at work

Jay's amazing fish levitating trick

Favorite hole of the day. Took a bow and arrow cast and a rainbow hit the dry as soon as it touched the water

Pretty much this size and smaller all day. No complaints!

Good shot of how nice it was all day

Last edited by JFey on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Presidents Day TR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 am 
Brown Trout

The hike in is not bad, if that's where I think it is. I thought I was going to have to drag a guy out last year though. I carried all his gear and prayed his heart would hold out. :o I went up Tue, and the gate got me too. I went up a bit higher than you guys. You out fished me though. Great pics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 am 
Brown Trout

I saw a car parked there about 4;00pm
Glad the fishing was good for you in there
20min in 50 out. Last time i did it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:08 am 
Brown Trout

Yup, the hike out is pretty rough. I'd like to hike in when its a little warmer minus the waders.

Flemming, it must be that area, had to do the same thing last year on a near by stream with an "experienced hiker". I thought I was going to be dragging him out with his gear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 am 
Brown Trout

Great report. Man, I haven't fished that stream in 4-5 years. Dunno if I could make the hike back out nowadays. Heh. It's a buttkicker fer sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:15 pm 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
Yup, the hike out is pretty rough. I'd like to hike in when its a little warmer minus the waders.

Flemming, it must be that area, had to do the same thing last year on a near by stream with an "experienced hiker". I thought I was going to be dragging him out with his gear.

The guy I took in told me he hiked a lot and loved it. The hike would not be a problem. I should have put him in next to a road. I felt bad for taking him, but tried to tell him it's a tough hike. "No problem" he said. I don't think he will be fishing with me again. :roll: My wife and I had to carry our youngest one out the whole way. The older one made it about 3/4 of the way. Then we both had our hands full. I've thought about Mtn biking in, but I don't want to push it out.

Jfey, pack your gear in a daypack. Hike in and stash it in the woods. I've taken to carrying a backpack the whole time, so I keep it with me. I've gotten pretty good at dealing with the day away from the car.

The FS closes that road for the winter, after deer season. I would assume that it will open back up for turkey season though. Might have to get in there first!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm 
Brown Trout

I have a good story about that stream --

Last time I fished it, we had a great day. The hike back out, however, took forever and we were both exhausted and sitting on the back of Charlie's truck, wiping our faces with towels, covered in sweat, panting, coughing, and drinking a beer.
A van pulled into the pullout by the trailhead and a family got out. 3 little kids, a grandmother, a fat wife wearing flip-flops and carrying an armload of towels, and an overweight father carrying a large video camera on his shoulder got out.

Charlie asked what they were planning.

"We hear there's a sliding rock down this trail. We're going swimming," the father said to us.

"There's lots of sliding rocks down there," Charlie replied. "But you have to hike down there and then hike back out straight up. You aren't ready for going in there. Hell, look at us. We do this all the time, and we're both about dead. You guys won't make it. There's lots of sliding rocks and swimming holes that are easier on down the road."

The father looked at us like we were crazy, turned around, and the family started down the trail. I never found out if they made it back out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:26 pm 
Brown Trout

Please stay out of my secret fishing spots.

Respectfully,

Christensen :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 am 
Brown Trout

Phil, I got one similar. Me and "the guy" finally made it out, with me carrying all his gear. About 100 yrds up from where the tiny creek comes into the trail we had passed 3 guys coming down. Believe me when I say they did not fit the normal profile of a hiker in there. We both are wondering if they are going to check their plants. :? Once we make it out, there is a beat up work truck behind us. That does not make us feel any better. We get to talking to the guy and they are construction workers from out of town who are working in Hickory. A couple of the guys had never seen mountains before, so that had rode around all day looking for a spot to swim. Of all the places to pic. From what I had gathered they had been driving around over near Table Rock or Linville. Before we got done talking to the guy in the truck, the 3 guys come out of the trail. And they are soaking wet! I think they just rolled around in the little creek, I can't image they went all the way down. I ended up giving them directions to some easier spots to access if they came back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:28 am 
Brown Trout

It doesn't fish as well as it did in the 70's-80's
Use to come in from the other side while camping and Bow Hunting. Back then you could drive to the water.
All most got run over by a mountain Bike while walking out with my head down. all of a sudden I hear him and he went by me.
I pack in fishin gear also. No extra wear on the felt.
I use to fish that once a week in the evenings.