southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SoHo report....Easter evening through wed. 4/27 noon.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm 
Brown Trout

Well, got a chance to lvisit a great watershed and do some fishing. Went over to the SoHo with a friend from the fly fishing clinics in Fayetteville. Bob met me Easter Sun day around noon and we headed to the SoHo for a few days of fishing. Bob had only been to the river once before and had fished with a guide. We arrived around 5:00 in the evening and headed straight to the river. manged a few fish before heading to Mr. Blake's for a visit.

Hit the river around 10 the next morning after a much need good nights sleep. Had to fish second choice water because there were two gentleman fishing the area I wanted to fish. didn't matter, the bite was on. Caught fish after fish. For the first hour or so, it was almost a fish on every drift......unreal. We were finally able to move up and fish the area I wanted after the folks fishing their left the fiver around 12:30. Same story there, the fish were really active and taking midges with lust. Fished t.here until around 5: and moved to a spot down stream and caught a few more fish before calling it a night and heading for some grub.

Fished the next morning at a different section on the stream and I was helping my buddy get into some fish. Rigged him up before we got on the river and then took him to a spot and adjusted his rig so he could start fishing. Threw the flies in the water so he could make his first cast and he had a 14" fish take his rig before he could make a cast. He lost his whole mess so we had to re-rig everything. Bob, caught 5 fish on 6 drifts after getting re-rigged. Not bad for his second time on the river. I went down stream and worked my way back to where we started. When I got to the little area where I started Bob, I was able to catch another 10 fish outta that spot. Bob had worked his way up river and had caught more fish on his own.

Wed. morning was just as productive. Six fish on six drifts! We fished to 12 noon and headed to the hill as Bob wanted to get home before dark. Kindda went against my grain as I drove home in the daylight, but there will be a next time.

To sum it up, the midge bite was on strong. Caught fish on trout crack and small nymphs as well. Fish to be had on Soft Hackles too. Great time and great trip. No hatches seen to speak of, but Blake did see a good spinner fall Tuesday night while fishing with some other folks. The river is fishing good and as always I can't get enough of that river and can't wait until I can get back over there! Bob took some pics, but I stopped carrying a camera long ago.......takes too much time away from the fishing!

See ya all on the river!

Ralph

Post subject: Re: SoHo report....Easter evening through wed. 4/27 noon.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Glad you had a good trip .Guess we will be catching fish with bloody lips for weeks.Wish I could have been there just to see you work the river.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm 
Brown Trout

Good for you Ralph!! Sounds like fun. Glad you were able to get back on the SOHO. Unfortuantely no PFF this year (opening a new hotel on May 16th) so my return trip will have to wait a little longer. :evil: Always enjoy watching you wax em and appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

TC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
Brown Trout

Glad to hear 'bout some folks sore lippin' fish.

don

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:17 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:04 am 
Brown Trout

Good on ya Ralph, glad you got a chance to get out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:31 am 
Brown Trout

Hot dangit! Couldn't you have waited until after I had a chance to catch some of those fish? For sure they now have a bunch of sore lips and a higher education.
Thanks a lot pal!

The rest of these guys are probably bullsh!tting you but I am honestly glad you got out! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:10 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks folks. It had been since the fall PFF that I had gotten to fish so the trip was really needed. As most of ya know, if I could, I would fish and fish on the SoHo every day or weekend which ever was possible. Really looking forward to Shady Valley.

Ralph :D