southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smith River Saturday and ?s
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:56 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I fished the Smith yesterday in the old regs area, from the Trestle Pool up to the tail end of the Mirror Pool. It was a slow morning, but around noon things picked up significantly. I caught several and even kept a few for the skillet, and must admit it was a bit odd keeping the 8-9” wild Smith browns. But I do believe there are way too many of the little guys in the river. The new management plan is something I want to see succeed.

Around 2-2:30 there was a very good hatch of the larger yellows/sulphurs. These were the preferred item for the fish. I also observed at least 3 other mayfly taxa emerging, as well as a plethora of stoneflies (not great numbers, but enough to get my attention, which has not normally been the case on the Smith), a few caddis, and a midge here and there. I will not burden you with the names of critters collected and noticed. I have discussed with 5xTippet (he was there yesterday), and I would like your observations on what you’ve been seeing on the river. A greater diversity of critters hatching? Greater numbers of individual critters? Hatching reports from other areas (particularly downstream)? I am not “fishing” for favorite spots, only critter information. I am simply trying to wrap my brain around the idea that the river may be a bit better, than it was a few years ago, when it comes to the assemblage of inverts.

Many thanks,
Stephen

Post subject: Re: Smith River Saturday and ?s
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Stephen, I know that Scott thinks the ramping of the generators has stopped the scouring and should help the bugs. After talking to you maybe he is right. Where I was fishing there are not as many bugs. Dean and Peewee may be able to shed some light. They fish further downstream than me.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 am 
Rainbow Trout

I would be very interested in chatting about the buglife on the Smith sometime. Over the past few weekends the lower section of river have really been producing some really good hatches. Email, PM, or call and we can talk about it. My cell number is listed on the contact page of http://www.smithrivertu.com.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:34 am 
Brown Trout

Lots of bugs from what I have seen this year.Sulfurs --caddis-- stoneflies--midges as usual.Below Bassett we have been seeing all of these plus the fish have been eating crayfish-minnows --little ducks and geese and heard of a San Juan gentleman lost his worm trying to swim across the river.River is showing some change ........hope we can get a burp as the temps begin to rise.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:50 am 
Rainbow Trout

Thanks. I will assume it is better to lose your worm than your green weenie, if you are a gentleman from San Juan swimming the river. I am sure he has more worms, but the weenies may be a rarity.

“……the fish have been eating crayfish-minnows --little ducks and geese…..”

Seems the fish are pursuing and eating bigger prey. When will they begin ingesting anglers from the Carolinas?

I finally identified the critters collected on Saturday. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Happy trails.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm 
Brown Trout

Ok, boys, I just got off the phone from talking to Scott. You need to call him, Stephen. The stoneflies got his attention. He said if we can trade stoneflies for midges we'll get another inch or two in size. He is not sure how much, but it will make a difference. The more bugs the better. Also, he said taking some of those 8 and 9 inchers out will help, also, especially above Bassett. Even if you only take 1 or 2 it will help. Basically, it boils down to several things. Throwing back the fish 10 inches or larger should increase the average size. Keeping some 8 and 9 inchers should increase the average size a little more. The ramping of the generators by decreasing the scouring and increasing the amount of bugs is the joker in the deck. If Bugman and Darrin are correct and the bug life is increasing we may be in business in the foreseeable future. Darrin, you need to call Scott and tell him about the bugs you are seeing. Anything out of the ordinary he wants to hear about.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:22 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Thanks Ben. It has been several months since I’ve talked to Scott; I’ll give him a call tomorrow. Those that fish the river regularly, and biologist like Scott, should know more about the faunal trends than I do. I’d like to think my anecdotal “snap shot” data indicates a positive. But it is just that, a subjective record. I am sure Scott and crew have historical data to compare to future macro numbers.

I feel very optimistic about the stewardship of the river. With the Smith River TU, other assorted associations, vocal regular anglers, and the VA biologists, the river appears to be in incredibly good hands.

When talking to Ben this weekend, he made an astute comment about the river that some of us might have forgotten. Several of us cut our teeth on the Smith, and she has taught us well. It is always a joy to visit and fish the river.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:11 am 
King of Bran

it's been a while since i made a post here but i found this one interesting.I was up on the smith a couple of weeks ago and as i got to the river the first bug i saw was a small stone fly and didn't think much of it..i tied on a blue wing olive, nothing happened, added a small dropper, nothing, changed to another bug i don't even have a name for, nothing, then i saw a couple sulfurs so i changed, nothing happen, by now i was getting a little frustrated,saw another stone fly so i scratched around and came up with a small stone,medium brown tied parachute style, up until this time i only saw an occasional rise, but this was the ticket,caught plenty of fish.came home and tied up more stones...if you remember Ben Cochran, he use to fish something very small(dry) or he had on something that looked like a stone, i remember one called Leroy, named after somebodies dog..plan on going next week, need to check generation