southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Being a kid for a day
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Often we are privileged in that we can visit the stream where we learned to fish, first with lures and bait, then later fly angling, after seeing trout rise in the early spring to what I was sure were flying ants, only years later to discover they were small winter stoneflies. I was lucky enough on Saturday to fish the stocked waters where I spent countless days as a kid learning to drift worms, minnows, salmon eggs, Velveeta cheese, etc. to trout for about 3 months after those April opening days, then later after the water warmed, fish for Red Eyes and Smallmouth, until early squirrel season. I met a very good friend Saturday morning to fish this stream in the mountains of Bath County VA.

Our goals were to “limit out” on the planted trout (old folks of Bath still enjoy eating firm stockers), look for the young steelhead introduced to boost the Lake Moomaw fishery, observe the local flora and fauna, collect a few critters, and unravel all personal and global problems. I also wanted to revisit and introduce my pal to the pool where I caught my first brown on a Queen-of-the-Waters dry. Pictures below: Yellow Lady’s Slipper, Woodland Stonecrop, the water, collecting, limit x 2 (in honor of the Eagle Claw snelled hooks, so important to me as a kid). It was a success on all fronts, even sorting out global troubles.

Attachments:
VT-WR.jpg
VT-WR.jpg [ 45.39 KB | Viewed 1720 times ]
EC.jpg
EC.jpg [ 58.46 KB | Viewed 1717 times ]
SnakeBoy-WR.jpg
SnakeBoy-WR.jpg [ 44.81 KB | Viewed 1715 times ]
Collect-WR.jpg
Collect-WR.jpg [ 37.29 KB | Viewed 1714 times ]
MS-WR.jpg
MS-WR.jpg [ 55.51 KB | Viewed 1715 times ]
YLS2-WR.jpg
YLS2-WR.jpg [ 29.46 KB | Viewed 1712 times ]
YLS1-WR.jpg
YLS1-WR.jpg [ 41.86 KB | Viewed 1714 times ]

Post subject: Re: Being a kid for a day
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 am 
Brook Trout

Awesome Stephen. I don't think I've ever seen you take pictures before.

By the way, you need a Wright & McGill Granger Registered rod to string that limit up on. The famous picture on those packs of Eagle Claw hooks is an employee of Wright & McGill with a stringer full of Frying Pan River trout, strung up on a top of the line Registered tip section. That rod would have cost a pretty impressive 100 bucks back in the early 50s. You can score one for several thousand these days - if you can find one.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:53 am 
Rainbow Trout

Thanks for the info on the famous Eagle Claw picture. I have not seen these hooks in years; I suppose they still sell them. We remembered the famous pic when holding those stockers on a stick. I’d forgotten what a snelled hook was until I found that Eagle Claw photo. That EC employee on the pack holding those trout certainly stirs up some ghosts for me.

I still am not taking pics; I am pointing and shooting a few. And still have no clue what I am doing. Written notes have always been my thing. But I have recently started enjoying wildflowers and bringing back a pseudo pic helps me learn. I find wildflowers fascinating and can’t believe I did not attempt to learn them earlier in life, when birds, particularly the warblers, were an allure. I had to forgo the warbler enthrallment because I could never distinguish the songs. I have the hearing skill of Dummy Hoy, I think the 1st deaf major league baseball player. I can hear ok, but ever bird sounds the same to me. Plus, I am reserving the bird song dilemma for later years, when I am moving with a walker and relegated to watching the feeders for amusement. Sorry, I digress.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:42 am 
Brown Trout

Stephen, did you catch any of the steelhead?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Ben - I did not, but my friend caught a few very small “rainbows”, one of which had the adipose fin clipped. That fin clipped is what we were looking for, but thinking back I am not sure if that is what I heard to be the identifier. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 pm 
Brook Trout

For those that are interested in these kinds of things (as I am), you might be interested to know that The Wright & McGill Company began in 1921 as a fly tying company and developed the Eagle Claw hook in 1926 and the nylon leader in 1938 with Dupont. W&M also purchased the Granger Rod Company shortly after WWII and entered into the rod making business for the first time. I'm interested in all of this because I love Granger and W&M rods and fish with them regularly. Anyway, this is an excerpt about the famous Eagle Claw hook package from the recent book by Michael Sinclair titled Goodwin Granger, The Rod Man from Denver.

"During the summer of 1946, Paul Mount was invited to go on a Western Slope fishing trip with Drew McGill, Stanley Wright, Floyd McCall (a photographer from the Denver Post) and movie star, Dennis Morgan. Paul Mount acted as guide for the group and planned to show the men where the best fishing places were on the Fryingpan, Crystal and Roaring Fork Rivers. The Denver Post photographer captured Dennis Morgan fishing on the Crystal River with a Wright & McGill Granger fly rod. The photo would be used on the cover of the 1947 company catalog. Paul Mount's opportunity for fame arrived when Drew McGill asked Paul Mount to string up a batch of fish for a photograph. Paul Mount happily obliged. He (Paul) had a clean-cut, all-American appearance and that's what the Wright & McGill Co. wanted to portray. After Floyd McCall took Paul Mount's picture, Drew McGill noticed that Paul Mount had strung the fish onto a bamboo rod. Drew McGill looked at Paul Mount's string of fish and said, "You're not at all particular about what you string fish up on...that's a $100 Granger Registered Rod." Paul Mount's $100 stringer of fish was added to the Eagle Claw fish hook packaging and soon became one of the company's most identified symbols. Paul Mount's picture is still used on the packaging. Next time you see one of these packages say, "Hello!" to Paul Mount."