southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Davidson
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:27 pm 
Brown Trout

I headed up to Brevard Wednesday morning. I check into my motel and headed to the river. I ended up downstream of the hatchery around 4 or 5. I found a few spots full of sulphers and caught about a dozen or so in a couple of hours. Whenever the bugs would pop off I would catch fish. When the bugs quit so did the fish. I walked back to the parking lot and took my waders off and wandered over to TM's truck and met Peter P and TP for the first time. Sat and visited with those boys until dark. Went back into town, got something to eat and hit the rack. Got up the next morning, stopped by the fly shop to pick up something and hit the river around 11 or so. Fished downstream with beetles for an hour and caught 5 one of which was nipping at 20 inches. I then went upstream and fished for awhile. I caught a few more on beetles and decided to switch gears. On my 3rd cast I caught a 20 inch brown. Two casts later I had one about the same size hit it. I decided to let that spot rest for awhile and headed to the hatchery. I found an unoccupied spot and proceeded to catch a grown rainbow that was built like a tank. He was slightly under 20 inches which surprised me. The way he fought I was expecting something bigger. I unhooked that sucker, took his picture and released him. About 5 casts later I saw something approximately the size of a small hog rolling under a log. I cast a few times and finally got it where I wanted it. I saw a mouth open and set the hook. When I finally got it in, it was approximately 23 inches. I really don't think I could catch anything much bigger on my 5 wt. without killing it. I walked back up to the parking lot, found TM, and walked upstream and caught one more fish. I stopped and showed TM the picture of the big boy and headed home. 5 hours later I was home. It was my eighth trip to that river.

Post subject: Re: Davidson
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Looks like a good urn, Ben!

One of these years I'm gonna fish the Davidson, have fished some of tributaries...

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 pm 
Brown Trout

Your fly is showing in one pic. :o Sounds like the terrestrial bite is warming up. Good fish.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:52 pm 
Brown Trout

fleming13 wrote:
Your fly is showing in one pic. :o Sounds like the terrestrial bite is warming up. Good fish.

Nubby shame on you lettin' your weenie show :o

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Nice. I really should fish that river since it is an hour away. My truck doesn't seem to go through Asheville though with out having to spend the night.