southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Epic blueline
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 am 
Brown Trout

Maybe not epic in the fishing sense, but epic in every other way! Aaron and I have been talking about getting together and fishing for a while. We had talked about fishing this stream before, and since it takes 2 vehicles to do this right we went for it. I went up after work Friday night and set up camp, Aaron met me in the morning. We put my truck at the creek and his at the trailhead. Here's my camp for the night. First time using the hammock, not bad.

The plan was to hike down to the creek, then a bit further to the trib, and fish the trib that flowed in the opposite direction of the trail. That's why we needed to trucks.

Fishing was slow, really slow, to start with. We were spooking fish but did not have many willing to rise. And the few that did were not taking the fly very well. We did pick up some browns. But they were mostly small and few and far between. The stream was also very flat in this area, not many plunge pools. I think we both considered hiking back to the main stream and fishing it. It was also 100% humidity, sticky, and you could see the moisture in the air. Then the thunder started. At least it cooled it off some.

Then we hit this hole and new things were going to be looking up. There was good fall to the stream here and Aaron hooked up with the first brookie.

Then Aaron picked up the brown of the day.

Then we found this little gem of a hole. We caught 8 brookies out of this hole, including Aaron's largest.

Aaron's fish.

This is the type of fishing you get when you run into the brookies. Much different gradient here than at the beginning.

Tom, they could not resist your fly today!

A waterfall we had to climb seen from the top. You can make our the creek against the rock face on the right.

What we had to climb through.

Here is the next waterfall we had to climb around, this is where the epic part starts.

We figured it would be just another climb around this waterfall, and it was shorter than the last. WRONG!!!! I got a new understanding of why the locals call them rhododendron hells. We had to skirt around the rocks, that seemed to go forever. I literally crawled right over a copperhead and never saw it. Aaron nearly put his hand on it when he saw it. Then the way back to the creek was impassable. We found a big rock face and skirted it back to the creek, only to find a very steep rock face that ended and unknown distance from the ground. And there was another water fall anyway. We had to climb back up and around the big rock face, pass over the top of the ridge, and skirt the creek side of the ridge. I bet we broke trail for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I did not keep track of time but it was probably and hour or two, felt like it anyway. We finally hit a game trail that followed the ridge on the creek side. About 50 yrds up what I though was a deer trail we started picking up bear tracks. BIG bear tracks. Larger than you hand bear tracks, and the front of the print was freshly dig into the soft soil. Todays tracks. The trail finally go close to the creek and we made a break for the creek. We ended up on an undercut bank that was not too stable. As we are standing there Aaron gets stung and we realize he is standing on a bee's nest. He drops his rod on it and I am stuck on the wrong side of it. After about 10 minutes they calm down, I grab the rod, and climb up and around the nest. Finally we are back on the water.

Our buddy the snake.

Not sure if you can see the bear track here, hard to get a picture.

We got to this hole and decided we had had enough. We made a break for the truck.

Post subject: Re: Epic blueline
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:52 am 
Brown Trout

The computer got a bit wierd. So here are some pics of us after this little adventure. I fell in to my waist, and soaked my left side too. Aaron somehow managed to find a spot where he actually got to float his hat. Plus the humidity and brief rain, everything thing we had was soaked. We were covered in dirt and rhodo bark. Aaron got stung. I have so many scratches on me I look like I've been herding cats. My wife threatened to throw away my clothes when I got home. :lol: And we call this a good day. But I don't think either of us will set foot on this creek again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:54 am 
Brown Trout

Great report Jason! looks like a lot of fun (as bluelining goes) :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 pm 
Brown Trout

All that work to catch a few 6" fish that you are going to throw back anyway....

Blue lining takes a special breed. Of all the challenges, I think the Rhodo Jungles are the most daunting. Great report!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Great report, Jason! I love to blueline still, but at my age, I would have to call that trip "Extreme Bluelining."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:14 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil wrote:
Great report, Jason! I love to blueline still, but at my age, I would have to call that trip "Extreme Bluelining."

At my age it's extreme! :shock: I told Aaron I'm glad I did this while I'm still "young". Save the easy ones for later. :D

I think we are the only people to have seen some of that area in a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:05 pm 
Brown Trout

I am recovering. It was a hoot. Looking forward to next time. ;)

Here are a few photos:

Somehow, this must keep you young - I got carded tonight, despite having 22 years to spare. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

I loved the report. Even the camera lens looked foggy from the humidity. It's been seriously hot, especially if you did any bushwhacking. Thanks for sharing!

"Say I won't!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 am 
Brown Trout

Riverview wrote:
I loved the report. Even the camera lens looked foggy from the humidity. It's been seriously hot, especially if you did any bushwhacking. Thanks for sharing!

When the sunlight was just right you could see water droplets moving around in the air. No joke. I have my camera in a ziploc bag with silica packets trying to get the moisture out. My preview screen was seriously fogged up when we got out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 am 
Brown Trout

Riverview wrote:

I wish it wasn't so, but I finally had to get Jason to tie on one of my flies. I need stronger glasses for the task. Plus, they were so foggy I couldn't see anything. :oops: I seemed like jungle fishing for awhile.