southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Just home from 2 weeks on the road....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 am 
Brown Trout

Well done Paul!!

TC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:53 pm 
Brown Trout

As a road trip, it's a bit daunting. Over 15 days, we drove a bit over 5000 mi. We averaged 59mph, and tried to do about 600 miles each day. That doesn't leave any time for sightseeing along the way. Next time we plan to take 3 weeks, and spend a few days along the way seeing a few of the things we just blew by.

Cost? Well, Judy hasn't totaled everything yet, but we rented a van, so we'd have lots of room. For 2 weeks, that cost just under $700. For fuel, the van averaged 26 mpg, so we burned about 192 gallons of gas. At an average price of $3.69/gal, that's another $708. Figure $1400 for transportation. If we had flown, it would have cost each of us about $600 plus luggage fees, and we would still have to rent a car when we got there. Pretty much a wash, except that we were able to pack all our clothes, camping gear and my fishing gear in the back of the van, and still travel comfortably.

On the down side, it did take 4 days to get there and another 4 days to get home. That's 8 more nights on the road, and the meals to go with it. If you've never seen the areas that we drove through, then it's worth doing just to see America. If you're in a hurry to get there, though, flying makes more sense. We'll probably do it again.

At Slough Creek, that first evening, I fished right below the 2nd pull out from the main road. I went back the next morning, and went on up to the next pullout, where I was able to catch a pair of 18" fish, one cutthroat and one cut-bow. I only had an hour and a half to fish, so I thought I did pretty well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:01 pm 
Brown Trout

Not to bad fer an hour and a half of fishin'.

8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 pm 
Rainbow Trout

VIP water pretty good.
:o :o :o :shock: :shock:
Sorry Jyl & IO missed ya.

Irish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:29 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Very nice cutthroat! Sounds like you were out there the same time as my son and I (see post below). For those interested, we drove 3 days out and 3 days back. Figure about 35 hours behind the wheel which made for three 12 hour days. If I had known you were there I would have offered a seat in the drift boat one day. The drive does get boring at times but I love to have all my stuff with me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:45 am 
Brown Trout

Allan, I read your post before making mine. It looks like y'all had a great outing as well. It seems that lots of us made the trek this year. In fact, I understand that Blake may be out there right now. Maybe next year we can coordinate things a bit better. I know my wife is talking about making it a 3 week trip next summer....