southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sometimes it's just not your day!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:07 pm 
Brook Trout

Everything starts out well enough. Yesterday's greyness gives way to blue skies over the mountains as the sun burns through early morning clouds. I am on my way to a favorite trout stream that treated me very well last October. My mood brightens along with the day.

Arriving at the stream, I find that the water levels are perfect. Temperatures are just right for wet wading and hiking without breaking a sweat. This is going to be fun.

I fish an elk hair caddis with no action for a little while and then switch to a big stonefly nymph when I see empty shucks here and there on the rocks. I had been hoping for some dry fly action but it doesn't really matter because I'm about to slay 'em with nymphs.

I make my way farther and farther upstream and can't buy a look. I switch back to the dry. No dice. I try a different nymph. Nothing. I should be catching fish but I'm not. I grow impatient. In my haste to get to the next spot, I go too quickly and it happens. My foot comes down on a rock so slick it feels as if it's covered in ice.

I go ass over teakettle in the middle of the creek. Laying on my back, wedged between two boulders, I utter some words that would not make my Mom proud of me. I have wacked my shin hard enough that it takes several minutes to stop hurting. I stand up and start to collect myself and realize that something is very wrong with my reel. Then I look at it.

The frame is bent so badly on my prized English made Hardy reel that the spool cannot turn. I utter a few more words that are the foulest I can think of, but which I feel are entirely appropriate for the occasion. This does not make me feel any better. I remove the spool and pull enough line off to be able to make a reasonable cast, replace the spool and continue upstream. I still have caught no fish today.

I fish for another hour or so, but my heart is no longer in it. I hit the trail and retreat down the mountain with no fish and a busted reel.

Along the road back to the parking lot I pass this guy fishing in the flower bed and think that I would have been better off down here with him.

Sometimes it's just not your day. But there's always tomorrow.

Last edited by dshort on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sometimes it's just not your day!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:03 pm 
Brown Trout

Tough day, Dan.
I've been there, gotten skunked, fell, and broke rods and reels. I hate that you bent up that vintage Hardy reel, though. Dang. I feel your pain.... :cry:

You will have better days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Sorry to hear about your day and the reel but this pic is awesome man.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:58 am 
Brown Trout

Worse than that - My wife has been practicing casting and I had broken my rod down to two pieces and laid it in the corner. Some how the leader got pulled out into the floor and I did not notice it while vacuuming. Nothing like seeing your rod tip flying into the vacuum to make you curse. Luckily, it just broke the tip off. A new tip and some epoxy should have me back on the water. I will have to take about three feet off my WF line. It has to help my cast cause it can't get any worse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 am 
Brown Trout

Remember... a bad day fishing, beats a good day at the office anytime.....

Still sucks that you busted your Hardy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am 
Brook Trout

Thanks guys. I was trying to come up with something interesting without sounding like a whiny b*tch. Hopefully that comes across. I've got a couple inquiries out about getting the reel fixed. Hopefully it's salvageable.

Devinsdad wrote:
Remember... a bad day fishing, beats a good day at the office anytime.....

Still sucks that you busted your Hardy.

Definitely. Fishing has given me more than my fair share of great, memorable days, whether I'm catching fish or not. There's bound to be a stinker thrown in there every once in awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:39 am 
Rainbow Trout

Great photos. It is clear you know what you are doing with that camera.