southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fall browns
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 pm 
Brown Trout

I had a dentist appt. Tuesday, and figured I would treat myself to some fishing after enduring the thrice a year scraping with sharp metal instruments. I would be half way there, so I'd be saving gas too right? :lol: About half way to the dentist I realized I had brought everything but the camera. So I'm shorter on pics since I had to use my cell phone.

I headed up to one of my favorite brown trout streams and figured I would see if they were getting feisty. I decided with the cooler weather I would fish a double nymph rig. Kind of an odd plan for me, but figured I would change things up a bit. And since this stream has some nice deep holes, maybe I could get some bigger fish. Nothing huge, but some bigger than average browns.

Can't beat the scenery either. The leaves still had some color to them. And they had not quite taken over the creek. There were a lot, and I caught a few, but it was not too bad.

The fish seemed to like the Hare's Ear best, but I picked up a few on the Amber stonefly too.

There were a few smaller fish caught too. Numbers were not huge, but they rarely are on this creek. This section always fishes well for me though. I did miss a really nice looking fish and spooked one that looked to be close to 18". It was a big boy. I was easing up the bank next to a long, slow pool. I had just thought, "I need to stop and cast." when he spotted me and took off up the creek. I hate it when that happens. Oh well.

It was a great day on the water. And a nice change of pace from sitting in the treestand.

Post subject: Re: Fall browns
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice, Jason.

Post subject: Re: Fall browns
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:22 pm 
Brook Trout

Nice fish. Fishing in the fall is one of my favorite times to fish.