southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stone Mt. DH, 11/2/11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:00 pm 
Brown Trout

Well, I finally got to go fishing. I met up with Anthony Hipps, Wednesday, and we went up to Stone Mt. Park to do a bit of DH fishing. The day was absolutely gorgeous, and as luck would have it, they had done the second fall stocking on Tuesday. The fish were still stacked up in tight pods, and they were starving. The conditions, though, were a little less than ideal. The water was fairly low, and crystal clear. The bright sun was throwing strong shadows and, at times, the fish spooked easily.

When we started, we were fishing separately, trying to figure out where the fish were, and what was working. We got back together in about an hour to compare notes. It was clear, by then, that not too much stealth was needed, so we fished together the rest of the day, working the pods side by side, and, occasionally, getting tangled up. Still, it was a lot of fun, bantering back and forth, and complimenting each other's catch. A few friendly insults were also exchanged. Definitely not serious fishing, but a great day out.

We worked 3 pods of fish with considerable success. I started with a dry and dropper rig, but all my hits were coming on the dropper, a size 16 BH Prince, so when I snagged a balsam branch, about 12' over my head, I re-rigged with just a nymph and a strike indicator. I took fish with the BH Prince, a tan egg, a BH black hare's ear, and a pink McFlyfoam egg. I have no clear idea how many fish we caught. At times, it was every cast. My best guess would be that we each caught 20 to 30 fish, and it may have been more.

One interesting thing, though, on two of the pods, in the tails of the pools, we saw a single pair of brook trout cavorting with each other, and paying us no mind at all. I guess it's just that time of year. They were so close they were almost under foot. We tried not to disturb them too much.

My first fish of the day. Not a bad way to start

Come to papa....

One of many brookies

A nice brookie that Anthony caught

This one is almost ready to spawn

Post subject: Re: Stone Mt. DH, 11/2/11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:15 pm 
Brown Trout

Good for you, Paul!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:31 am 
Brown Trout

I'm glad you got out Paul!!

TC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm 
Brown Trout

Very nice Paul, And I would think Anthony would make a great fishing partner for the day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:15 pm 
Brook Trout

Paul, good to see that you got out to catch some nice fish. Nothing like fishing on a nice fall day.