southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Plan B
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 pm 
Brook Trout

I took advantage of the nice weather today by heading out to the SNP. I had been looking forward to getting back on a particular creek that Marty, Rob and I fished last winter but it was not to be. I got all the way there, found 2 trucks in the lot and knew that I needed a new plan. I broke out the map and decided on a drainage that Marty and I visited 2 winters ago. On that trip, we got all the way back in there and found the water not exactly in a liquid state.

Obviously a return trip was warranted and I figured it should be a little better today. On that trip we came in the from the bottom on a pretty sketchy road. Since I was already up on Skyline Drive today, I started the long trek down in there.

Things looked a little more promising this time around.

I fished my way down, hitting the good looking spots and picking up a few fish here and there.

I made my way down to the falls and found some nice deep holes at the bottom.

The stream got better the farther I went and the fishing picked up too as the day finally started to warm.

Another set of falls, technically a cascade I guess. At this point I knew it was going to be a pain in the ass getting back up out of here at the end of the day.

I made it all the way down to where this little crick empties into the main stream, fished up that one for about a half mile, and picked up a nice fish.

I made my back down to the junction and took a break - I was dreading the hike out.

To break up the hike I decided to hit a few spots that I had visited on the way down, which turned out to be a good decision. I noticed a couple fish hanging near the surface and switched over to a little Parachute Adams. A couple casts later, this big boy decided to come to lunch. One of my biggest brookies ever on a dry in January - I'll take it.

Knowing I couldn't top that, I clipped off the fly and called it a day.

Last edited by dshort on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Plan B
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 am 
Brown Trout

Nice! I think I'm getting the shakes. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:34 pm 
Brown Trout

Well done!! Great pictures.

I'm trying to figure out how to break away this week from work to take advantage of the unseasonably warm forecast. Unfortuantely it doesn't look promising :(

TC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 pm 
Brook Trout

Tell me about it Dave. Probably the best weather we'll have this winter and the brookies will probably be on fire. This week is also one of my busiest weeks of the year at work and I'll be stuck in the office.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Damn nice report and even better brookies! Your last catch was a beast, maybe the largest brookie I've seen from the Appalachians. The others were oinkers, too. Glad to see the pink weenie thrown by the 'boo. It's kinda like washing Vienna sausages down with some Dom.
- Knox

"Say I won't!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 am 
Brook Trout

Ah Knox, I would not stoop to tossing a Pink Weenie with a classic bamboo rod. Actually I would (and have plenty of times) but that particular fly has started to leave a bad taste in my mouth for a couple reasons - neither of which has to do with me being any kind of purist about the flies I use. Suffice to say that I've decided not to carry the Pink Weenie in my box any longer so I came up with my own substitute - a hot pink bugger tied on a #12 nymph hook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:26 am 
Brown Trout

Riverview wrote:
Damn nice report and even better brookies! Your last catch was a beast, maybe the largest brookie I've seen from the Appalachians. The others were oinkers, too. Glad to see the pink weenie thrown by the 'boo. It's kinda like washing Vienna sausages down with some Dom.
- Knox

I hate to tell you this, but the brookies on the east slope are northern strain. I believe the New River marks the boundary between the northern strain and the southern Appalachian strain.

Technicalities aside, I agree, those are a couple of the finest specimens I've seen from those drainages. What a difference a year makes.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:25 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

It's worth repeating - that's one HELL of a nice fush. May play my ace on saturday if you want to brave the fun that mother nature appears to be preparing to hurl our way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 pm 
Brook Trout

Only 2 more inches and he'll rival the one you caught last month. Sheesh.

Saturday doesn't look too bad. I'm seeing mid 50s with a few showers. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will hold off. Got a destination in mind?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm 
Brown Trout

dshort wrote:
Saturday doesn't look too bad. I'm seeing mid 50s with a few showers. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will hold off. Got a destination in mind?

Y'all are killing me..... i'm in a soccer referee clinic all day :( Looking forward to your fine pictures :)

TC