southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Following the stock truck
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:38 pm 
Brown Trout

This is what happens on the Smith River within minutes of stocking http://www.facebook.com/mccargar/posts/374113099274810

Click here for the photo allbum for some very troubling photos (can't seem to link it here - just click on photo and see a series of 19 photos)

Probably not unique to the Smith but it does call into question the value of our "put and take" system.

Post subject: Re: Following the stock truck
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:24 pm 
Brown Trout

I hate to see this as bad as anyone but unfortunately they are as much an important part of the river as any of the rest of us.No Al you are correct that this is not unique to the Smith .It happens everywhere the trucks show up to refill the rivers.The DH streams catch just as much abuse as the others.Enforcement can keep it in check sometime but the Smith will not exist without them and the voice they have in the management of the resource.Keep them following the trucks and maybe the rest of the river gets a break.Give them the river from the dam down to the end of the old special regs and keep dumping something to keep their attention.Move as many of the wild browns down river beginning in Bassett getting out of the temperature spikes and generation surge.Here they have more food and are able to grow........the facts prove it. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Post subject: Re: Following the stock truck
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:57 pm 
Brown Trout

They put the fish in the river for people to catch and take home. As long as they are obeying the laws they have just as much right to fish as we do. Frankly, I hope they take some 8 & 9 inch browns home with them. The biologist wants us to and that is good enough for me. The biologist says only around 8% of the stocked fish survive for a year anyway. Let the bait fishermen have their fun.