southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Saluda Float Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 pm 
A few weeks ago a plan came aboout for a float trip on the Saluda. Well this weekend we made it happen. Tom (Overbrook), Cam (Flyfisher22), OMD and myself floated the river Saturday an Sunday. Tom and his family took great care of us that drove from Charlotte. Started the float with streamers tied by Oberbrook (thanks for the flies) and right away we were into fish; the action coolled off as the temperture was rising. I then switched to a double nymph rig that proved to be the right choice as we all caught fish using the same flies. A few pictures below from the trip hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Last edited by The Cherokee Kid on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Saluda Float Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 pm 
Brown Trout

OK, I am officially impressed!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 am 
Brown Trout

Yup...they got in Fri. eve. and as usual...after getting settled in....the first thing they did was mooch flies! :o

I still managed to scrape together a few streamers for myself though...

Our plan was to float the lower portion of the Saluda down to the zoo....hoping for some larger trout and early stripers....but we were rejected for parking by everyone around the zoo...its too close to downtown and they've been having a lot of problems with the crackheads hanging around the river I guess. So, we floated from the park down to the radio towers instead...the first day all I had was a 7wt. and the streamers....

only hooked a couple and lost all before getting them in the boat :oops:

It was still a nice float though....

And at the end of the day we had some kick ass burgers and brats....Thanks guys! and what better way to wash it down....

Sunday I took the 4 wt....and stonefly nymphs ....and had a little better luck landing a couple...

this little guy had been caught before...most likely with a treble hook...the whole corner of his jaw had been ripped out :(

most were nice 14" to 16" fish with Cameron and John hookin a few bigger ones in the 20's

Again...it was just good to be out....

Clownin' with friends....

But...like all good things it had to come to an end way to early!

Already looking forward to doing it again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am 
Brown Trout

Das wha I'm talkin' about!

Here's hoping you primed the pump to get the float trip going again in 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 pm 
Brook Trout

Nice! That's good stuff. Floating for trout in a big river is something I've wanted to do for a while - it looks like a lot of fun. I tried it once on the Soho (i was on the sticks) and it didn't go all that well...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

I must say its been awhile since I have been on the forum,but today I decided to get on and tell everyone what a great time I had this past week-end. I always do when I'm with my trout catchin' peeps. Overbrook ask Cherokee,Flyfisher22,and this old man down to stay at his place and float the saluda to do some fishin'. I did not do to well in the fish catchin' part but I must say the hospitality we received at Overbrooks place was second to none! I first of all,had the opportunity to meet Overbrooks family!Man how he got so lucky to be in the gracious presence of the family he has is beyond me,lol! Ernest (his dad) is one of the smartest men I think I have ever met,but the wife and daughters are sweetie pies and made us feel right at home.I was so thankful to his sweet little girls for helping me to get around with my sore feet,always concerned about making sure I didn't need anything.Many thanks to Michelle too for allowing some fishing buddies to come down and stay at their home!Its friends like Overbrook that make life very enjoyable.Tom thanks again man for the memories! You my friend are a keeper 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm 
Brown Trout

Well as usual I am last to the party. Had a blast this weekend hangin with OMD, OB and LC. A few large fish were hooked and one was landed. Several other nice trout brought to hand as well. Enjoyed floating with the guys and learning a few new things. First being that trout fishing is similar to marlin fishing, a touched leader is a caught fish :lol: . Also learned that while Tom has no @$$ he has developed a nice set of birthing hips :shock: . Why do I go on these trips?? Thanks to the Overbrook fam for the hospitality, can't wait to do it again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Looks like a great time was had by all!!

TC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am 
Brown Trout

I forgot about the whole "touched leader" argument :roll:

Birthing hips :twisted: you guys are just jealous you don't have my build and good looks!

Ya need to tell em' how damn good I look in a tux and Resistol !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 am 
Brook Trout

I was in Bryson City, NC and had already committed to a fishing trip up there. If that had not been the case I would have been with you guys. Good to see you caught some fish and had a good time. Won't be much longer and the stripers will be arriving.