southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smith
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:56 am 
Brown Trout

I got my twins graduated from college last Saturday and had them home for a week! They headed for Atlanta yesterday so it was time to go fishing. My wife said have at it, so off I went. I had a late start and arrived at Martinsville at around 2:30. By the time I had filled up with gas I decided not to go way upstream because I was running late. I started out at the end of the old special regs. I saw a few sulfurs popping off and some midges but I was in a beetle mood. I had 1 eat a beetle and that was it. I loaded up and went further downstream to escape the midges and sulfurs and find some hungry fish. I stopped at a place that doesn't have a lot of fish but they are a little bigger on average. I caught a few there and rolled on downstream to where I normally finish up. Took me a few minutes to get wired in but I finished up with a few more and headed home. I didn't catch a ton of fish but I caught a few nice ones for the Smith. I caught 5 or 6 little ones and the rest were in the slot.

Post subject: Re: Smith
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:22 pm 
Brown Trout

good job 5x glad you found some hungry fish.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:33 pm 
Brown Trout

Nubby...you gotta get out of bed before noon! Glad ya had a good trip :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Work on dam is finished and they are back to a regular generation schedule. Right now it sucks for afternoon/evening fishing but it may straighten itself out soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm 
Brown Trout

I am too lazy to start another thread so I will continue this old one. I headed back to the Smith yesterday morning. Peewee called me on the way and said he was on his way, too. He called me a little while later and said it was muddy downstream so that narrowed things down quite a bit. I filled up at the Sheetz station for $3.09 and headed on up to the river. I once again decide ahead of time to fish beetles and hopefully weed out the smaller boys. I knew I wouldn't catch as many as if I fished sulfurs but hopefully they would be bigger. I fished a spot for a while and caught a decent rainbow that I had been in there for a spell, but the browns weren't playing at first. I finally caught a few browns and a couple of more decent rainbows. There were sulfurs popping off but I was sticking to my guns and ignored them. About the time I would consider shifting gears I would hook a fish. I hit the end of the stretch I was fishing and headed back to the car. I went downstream, and was fishing back to where I had parked the car when I caught a large brook trout. That was the first one I have caught out of the Smith. I realize I owe that pleasure to the hatchery truck, but that is ok. I was standing there thinking that I had probably made the right decision by sticking to my guns by fishing beetles because I had caught 4 browns in the slot, 3 rainbows and 1 brook that were of decent size and had been in the river a while and some dink browns. About that time a truck pulled up and Peewee hopped out and informed that he got in the sulfurs with a new fly he was experimenting with and caught over 25 with it. OK, maybe I screwed up! I caught 2 more dink browns after he left.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey 5x glad to see you on the river.It was the first time I've been up on the upper river in a while....forgot how slick the rocks were/ :o :o :o Had to have some creek time alone or would have stayed around.The sulfurs were there all day and if I could find the camera on the bottom of the river I would show some pics......... :x :x :x I think the bug will work on the Holston will let you know in a few days.

Post subject: Re: Smith 6/19/12
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:25 pm 
Brown Trout

I went back yesterday on 5 hours sleep due to one of my twin daughters calling me at 1:30 in the morning to inform me they ran into a girl from my hometown they went to high school with, in a bar in Atlanta. That's nice, but I do believe that news could have held on until 10 or 11 the next morning. I got up bleary eyed and headed North. On the way I called that knot headed daughter and woke her up! -0- I arrived at the spot I was going to fish around 2 or so. There was an elderly gentleman in the parking lot rigging up. He was a nice guy and we talked for awhile. I decided I was going to let him have that spot and head on upstream. I went to a place I haven't fished in 2 years. It took me a little while to get wired in, but once I found the fish I started catching some. I ended up with 7 fish out of that spot, 1 rainbow and 6 browns. Only 2 of the browns were under the slot. I would have stayed there and fished for awhile, but I saw a man coming from upstream headed my way, so I headed back to the car. I went back to where I started and the elderly gentleman had left. I walked upstream and hit the river. After a few minutes I remembered why I had not been back to that place in several years. I hate that water. I remembered where I had caught a decent fish the last time I had fished it several years ago, and eased down to where the spot was and cast under the limb and snatched one about 11 inches out. As soon as I got him in, I cut my losses and headed back to the car. I went on downstream and caught 2 more decent browns well into the slot. I have been fishing some new flies I have been messing with and they weed out the smaller fish. I have enjoyed the last few trips big time. By the way Jule, the gap on the flies I was tying at Lying and Tying work just fine! 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 pm 
Brown Trout

It's still several weeks until the doctor will let me cast a fly rod. This is killing me!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet job Ben.

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 pm 
Brown Trout

Hmmmmm, so when do we get to see this new super fly? :roll: