southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smitty- Sat & Sun
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Headed back to the Smith Saturday. I wasn't in a hurry and took my time. I had decided to fish sulfurs until dark, spend the night and fish lower down the river with beetles and such Sunday. I went way upstream and was throwing a parachute with out much luck and noticed some midges. I tied on a midge dropper and promptly caught three rainbows in a row. One was pretty doggone big. I caught the smallest brown I have ever caught on anything period, and that ended the midge activity. Some bugs started coming off and I unloaded the midge and caught a few more. I looked at my watch and realized I had better hit the road for the mirror plant to meet up with Mudwall/Bugman/Stephen. I had been at the pool for a few minutes and I got a whiff of Mud's pipe. We stood in the river for awhile along with a friend from Martinsville. We all caught a few more when the bugs finally came off. Went to motel and spent the night. Got up the next morning and bounced around the river around Basset. I did not catch a ton, but I caught some nice ones for the Smith. I was just throwing beetles and caterpillars which limited the numbers but it increased the size. While I was fishing in Basset I ran into a guy fishing with a spinning rod. He was nice as he could be. He told me he always threw everything he caught back. I told him that was nice, but to quit doing that. I explained that the biologist wanted some of the browns under the slot out of there. He promised to do better in the future.