southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It's about time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:42 am 
Brown Trout

Finally got on some water today. My garden has been coming on, and I've been making holsters in my spare time. So I have not fished since early spring. I had an eye Dr. appointment in Morganton so I went on up the mountain to hassle some fishys. BTW, I should have prerigged some flies. Threading the eye of the hook with dialated pupils is just no fun. :shock: Water was OK, but a bit low. Also, it looked like it might have flooded since the last time I was there. Some trees are gone, and new ones are down. Overall it was a tough day of fishing. I caught maybe 24 or so, but they were tough to come by. All the usual spots were empty.

First big hole of the day. I could see him in there, but he was completely uninterested in my fly. Odd for a brookie.

Picked one up here and missed one.

A pretty little one.

Another great looking hole that yielded absolutely nothing.

Notice there is no fly line on my rod. I went "redneck Tenkara" today. Looped a 10' leader with a stuffer than normal end to my 6.5' 2wt rod. It was actually pretty fun. Not sure I want to spend any money on a real rig. But I'll do this again. Not fumbling with all that line was kind of nice.

I got the the hole where the trail crosses. There is usually a good fish just above that. Nothing today in the normal spot. There was one more hole above that. I dropped my fly in there and one jumped completely out of the water after it. I stung him. Another cast, nothing. Went back to the trail, dropped my pack, eat a PB&J sandwich, and tried again. Exact same result, huge take from probably the largest fish in the creek. This time I felt a head shake or two and it was over. Before this trip me and that fish were even. I could not get him one trip, but got him the next. Looks like it's now 1 for 3. I'll be back.

Post subject: Re: It's about time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:14 am 
Brown Trout

Beautiful shots. Looks like a good trip and 24 fish would make most of us smile wide. The last trip I took was similar where good pools yeilded no fish at all. I tried a bunch of flies, greenie weenie even but I first made damn sure noone was around to see it. :lol: Caddis were skittering around some but the fish just weren't much in the mood. On the last stretch of stream I tied on a small beetle. Couldn't half see it but the fish hammered it in EVERY pocket for the last 100 yards of stream. :shock:

Post subject: Re: It's about time
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 am 
Brown Trout

Those fish scattered over the 3 hours or so kept me occupied. But those empty pools really bugged me. I did not see obvious signs of recent activity from other fisherman. One section did appear to have a trail on one side, though can't say for certain. I saw one boot track on the trail out, not sure if hiking or wading boot. But the first time I fished this with Bo, we caught over 100 fish between us. I pulled 7 out of one hole. Either pressure, low water, or recent high water has moved them around I guess. I'll have to go back to investigate later. :D