southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids first trip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:33 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Taking the two boys (8 and 10) on their first trout excursion - they have gotten some recent instruction courtesy of Orvis 101 / 201 (and caught bass / bream) - have 2 new Redington Minnow outfits (thanks Streamer / Devinsdad for the recommendation) and Dad has a box of Pheasant tails and green weenies tied up. Now hoping to find a campsite close to the water, a stream not blown out and should karma prevail, a couple of trout to photograph for a lifetime memory. Leaving at noon tomorrow and bringing air rifles too - should be a true all American blast and cast boys weekend. Hope to have good things to share upon my re-entry.... wish us luck

Post subject: Re: Kids first trip
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:45 pm 
Brown Trout

Have a great trip!! Make sure to have that camera battery charged!!

TC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:33 pm 
Brown Trout

You guys have fun! We want to see pictures!

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:56 am 
Brown Trout

Freakin Awesome Jay-

I know you, nor your guys will ever forget this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:49 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Well - it was a great trip - one we will never forget - my youngest decided to skip the trip, so my oldest (Jay Jr.) and I headed out Friday after lunch - we headed right into a heavy rain, but it cleared as we got to our destination and had clear skies for setting up camp. We immediately got rigged up and he threw on his waders - we were hitting a wild trout stream as his first experience. My prayers were answered quickly, as within 5 minutes, and a joint cast - we had this:

He caught a couple of dinks (solo), and we went back for dinner. Now, JFey will attest to this - I frequently have some comedic disaster on trout fishing trips - this one is no different. We barely got dinner cooked when the skies opened up again - and we jumped into the tent - me with brats - and we watched the intense lightning show through the tent roof for the next hour, rain smashing down. As we hit the sleeping bags, we noticed the tent seams dripping - great I thought - I have 2 REI tents (backpacking and 6 man), but brought the 4 man P.O.S. from walmart :oops: - well - the dripping began from the top too, and we got splattered laying there - I finally had to throw a tarp over the tent to eliminate the headshots. Fortunately we were on a slight incline and the water dripping down the sides collected toward the entrance - we had some dampness but no real catastraphe. Looks like I'm going to REI again... We woke Sat am at 7 for grub and at 8 he says to me "Dad, can we go fishing now?" :D (how awesome is that?) so we hit a brookie stream for a while and managed this:
We caught one more, but the perfect first cast was not really there yet (ummm - in a rhoddy covered brookie stream???? - could I have set him up with a more difficult second day? :lol: ) - so we returned to the main water and I had fun watching him cast:

After one discussion, he had mending figured out - amazing. He put hundreds of casts with good mends in great runs, but we only managed a few more dinks - there was a lot of pressure on that stream Saturday, and we were not the first to hit those runs. All in all, though a great formative day for a young man. He excelled at rock hopping too. Ten hours later, we had a nice meal by a campfire (no rain!!)

Sunday we were at it again at 8. His waders had started leaking pretty badly Saturday and by Sunday he was wet wading in neoprene. I dried his socks out by the fire - until they melted :roll: But he trudged on and we were determined on our last day to catch a better sized fish. We patiently worked a nice run, and he finally had it all come together - great cast - 2 perfect mends and a take by an 8" wild rainbow - he set the hook and he slow stripped the line, rod tip up with a look of amazement on his face 8-) - as I moved to get my camera and net out, the fish pulled loose :cry: and the poor guy broke down in tears. It was a sad scene. He had it textbook, and that is all that matters I told him, but we all know how losing a fish can feel - those are the ones you remember the most. That will be what we talk about forever, not the ones we caught. I leaned over to him saying all the fatherly things, and everything in my Orvis Sling tumbled into the stream - where my kind words became a little off color :evil: - cell phone somehow managed to survive that (reference check: last two trips it was the camera that did that). After he ran down stream to collect a water bottle, and we drained my flyboxes, we rounded out the day with a few more tiny rainbows and wrapped our trip up with more smores by a fire, some air rifle shooting competition (he nailed beer cans at 20 yards 11 times in a row), broke camp and headed back. The quality time we had as a father and son is irreplaceable and I can't wait til next time - and to do this with my other son.

My newest and lifelong fishing partner:

Thanks to all of YOU who have helped make me a better flyfisherman and tier so that I can pass this amazing gift onto my kids - and so they can tie on my 8x tippet to my size 26 midges when I'm older :lol:

Oh - and for his tenth birthday next week, he wants a deer rifle :mrgreen:

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Great trip! I'm glad you guys had fun. Yes, I'm sure this is a trip he will remember and the best part is that he did the trip with you... the only thing more priceless than them brokies was your son smile!

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 am 
Brown Trout

Jay,

What a great father and son event. Congratulations

Brock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 am 
Brown Trout

Good stuff my friend. I'm laughing about the tent and dumping the sling pack. At least you didn't forget your reel(oh wait, that was me :oops: ).

Now Little Jay will really be pissed at me next time we go fishing, but I suspect he will start coming along sooner than later!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Way sweet ,my friend

JT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks for sharing.
That's as good as it gets.

bbbbbbbb