southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Back to the Smokies- pic heavy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:16 am 
Brown Trout

I headed up to Smokemont with the family again last week. Our big yearly camping trip. Of course I take the fishing gear and sneak in some fishing and generally plan a couple hours on the water for one day. This year was the same. I caught a few around campsite and managed a bit of time to fish upstream too. I was rewarded with a few nice fish once I figured out what they wanted. Oddly enough they ignored my caddis and yellow humpy but took a liking to a #16 BWO. Go figure.

This was the biggest fish of the trip, about an 11" brown on the BWO. Instead of pushing pics of the smaller fish I'll give this one a bigger portion of the show.

Resting a bit.

And a nice rainbow that came out of the last hole I fished. Great way to end the day.

And a stream pic.

My longer trip was a date I needed to finish from last year. I fished it for about 30 minutes while hiking with the family. It was enough that I was intent on going back. The great looking water initially got the best of me and I started fishing earlier than I planned. It was bad. So I got out and hiked further up and was rewarded with much better fishing.

Small but well fed.

Remnants of an older way of life.

Kind of the average size bow I was catching.

This fish had spunk, lol. Oddly enough, it was the only small bow I caught. But I caught a lot of browns that were not much bigger than this. Seems the smokies had a good spawn for browns last fall and the warm winter helped.

My hike out that evening.

And a few of the critters we were lucky enough to see.

These were in a group of about 8-10 around Tow String.

Saw this guy briefly at the overlook just before Newfound Gap.

And saw this guy pacing around the same overlook as the bear and up to Clingman's Dome road. Red Wolf hybrid maybe?

Spent 6 nights sleeping in the "Bear Burrito".

Puts a smile back on your face. That's the "Who's on vacation, I'm on vacation." look. biggrin:

Post subject: Re: Back to the Smokies- pic heavy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:20 am 
Brown Trout

Good stuff and pretty fish! Nice lookin wolf too...friends of ours have a grey wolf...if they ever find one to breed it with I think we might get one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Very nice Jason! That canine picture would make a good 2 or 3 hours talk over a dwindling campfire...

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 pm 
Brown Trout

Grand report & pics!!!

Looks like a cross between a big coyote and red fox to me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 am 
Brown Trout

It doesn't look "rangy" enough, to me, to be a coyote, and the lack of perspective on size makes it hard to judge. My first take, though, would be a grey fox. They are a bit bigger than a red fox, and have patches of redish fur mixed in their grey coat. Grey foxes are fairly common throughout the lower South.

As far as I know, red wolves do not interbreed with other canines, so a hybrid is unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:57 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
It doesn't look "rangy" enough, to me, to be a coyote, and the lack of perspective on size makes it hard to judge. My first take, though, would be a grey fox. They are a bit bigger than a red fox, and have patches of redish fur mixed in their grey coat. Grey foxes are fairly common throughout the lower South.

As far as I know, red wolves do not interbreed with other canines, so a hybrid is unlikely.

Since you know I know what a red fox looks like, I can say without a doubt that I an 100% sure it is not a red fox. I get the perspective issue. But this thing probably went 80+ Lbs. I emailed the pic to a buddy that knows a naturalist and outdoor photographer in the area. I'm waiting for a response. It was nearly twice the size of the coyote across the road from it, and they did not want anything to do with each other as far as I could tell. The coyote was going nuts too. It ran by my van and was about as tall as the bottom of the window. Long legged critter and some bulk to him too. He was running with a husky that was about 70 lbs and a malamute that was about 100 lbs. I would not want to run into those 3 on the trail.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm 
Brown Trout

OK, you're saying that this critter was running with 2 dogs? If so then that's your answer, a mixed breed dog, with a good bit of German shepherd, or similar, in him. Domestic dogs and their wild cousins do not mix.

I have seen an unnatural grey wolf - German shepherd mix (sterile) that was a popular pet is some circles 20+ years ago, but I've never heard of it happening in the wild.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:04 pm 
Brown Trout

You did well on Bradley's Fork, Jason. I've fished there many times over the past 35+ years when I did well and other times when I didn't do very well at all.
I won't disclose the name of the the other stream you fished, but know it well. The logging railroad tracks and the settler's cabin remains were a dead giveaway. It all depends on the water flow whether fish can be caught. Big water after storms -- it's impossible. Low water -- It's very difficult.
You did good, my friend. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:49 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks Phil. Not bad for a couple of short trips. I typically don't change flies much when I'm fishing. But had to on both stream to get to what they wanted, and both streams it was the BWO. One of the first times a yellow fly has let me down in the smokies. That certainly is one pretty stream, that's for sure. Hopefully I'll get to explore further up at some point. I fished up a ways from the 3rd bridge and that was when it got better.

Paul, my buddy managed to find someone that gave him a park service contact. We'll see where that goes. It certainly could be a wild dog, but I'm not convinced it is. I do know there are a lot of coy-dogs in the park. Coyote and wild dog hybrids. There is one in Cataloochee valley that looks like a German Shepherd. That's according to one of the rangers over in the valley I talked to. I also talked to a ranger in Smokemont and he said they still had wolves in the area and that it would not surprise him if one was running with a husky and/or malamute. I have no idea what his background is for knowing that, so take it with a grain of salt. I had no idea we even had a picture at that point so I had nothing to show him. I'm very interested in seeing what the ranger says about the picture.

I also know that Eastern coyotes have grey wolf DNA and that they are larger then the pure breed western yotes. There are some scientists that believe that the red wolf is just a grey wolf/coyote hybrid and not a separate species. And I know that coyotes and wild dogs will mate as well. So who the heck knows what that critter is. And without DNA it will be just an educated guess. My gut tells me there is wolf in it's recent lineage though. But that's strictly based on seeing it in person and seeing red and grey wolves up close at the WNC nature center to compare it to.

The ranger will probably tell me it was a mix of swamp gas, mirage, and loose weiner dog and I did not see a thing. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm 
Brown Trout

"I also know that Eastern coyotes have grey wolf DNA and that they are larger then the pure breed western yotes. There are some scientists that believe that the red wolf is just a grey wolf/coyote hybrid and not a separate species. And I know that coyotes and wild dogs will mate as well." I have read the same stuff Fleming. The red wolf theory was highly interesting and makes sense to me. That is not a wild dog. I have seen a bunch of them and shot a couple!