southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: W NY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 am 
Brown Trout

Spent three days in Western NY chasing lake run browns and steelhead or whatever appropriate term it is for lake run rainbows. Quite possibly some of the best fishing I have ever experienced. I was totally unprepared for hwo strong these fish are :o. I lost many more than I landed and trying to land one solo a challenge. I had some really big fish on and I just laughed knowing that there is no way I would win the battle. The crowds were heavy early in the week, but tapered off. On Sunday several pinners either cast over me or let their float run into where I was casting, but by Wednesday you could find plenty of room and even a little solitude if you got away from the named holes. Couple of highlights were:

* scotch and lots of it
* assisting in a bird rescue after a blue heron fly threw a guys flyline that was downstream of me. Closest I have ever been to a heron and it was rescued safely
* having all 4 guys I was with hooked up at the same time
* meeting a bunch of really cool people on the stream. Only met one real asshole and he was from Canada
* watching hopelessly and running up and down the bank as several steelhead almost spooled me
* Fighting a monster steelhead without hope of landing by myself until a fellow angler offered to help. He netted and then tripped on a rock and dumped the fish in the water as he was walking back to me.. He looked up and said "Sorry dude, that was one of the biggest fish I have ever seen on this stream" :evil: ; I think I cried a little
* fishing next to "Wild Turkey" who carried several flasks of Wild Turkey and graciously offered a sip to anyone around him who landed a fish, then yelled "gobble, gobble, gobble!" after he took one. I'm not sure is he was lying, but he said he was a high school teacher in Pennsylvania

From what I understand, most of the big fish had moved out of the water and the male browns were also gone. It didn't matter to me since these were all big fish for me. Most of the pics suck because I was by myself often and it made the battles last longer so I was eager to get the fish back to the water. Here are a few pics

Caution: Hero shot warning

Only was able to land a few steelhead, but got a few pics. This first one is my first steelhead, so it like special, you know

The start of the creek mouth lineup

Its going to be tough to get back into small stream fishing. I am sure I will, but it might take a while after this trip

Post subject: Re: W NY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 am 
Brown Trout

Damn, Jeff

Those are some hellacious fish. Was the whole stream that crowded or was it just like that close to the access???

Thx for sharing

JT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:16 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks JT. The whole stream was pretty crowded, but it lightened up if you walked upstream a bit. The crowds really stacked up on the best holes, but I did fine checking out some less popular spots. In some spots there were people 20 feet apart and on both sides of the stream fishing basically the same run. I didn't even try to get into that. Sunday was really bad all over, but by Wednesday their were about 50% less fishermen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 am 
Brown Trout

Nice fish...I'd like to get up there one of these days and give it a go.....that hat kicks ass! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 am 
Brown Trout

Good Stuff!!

TC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:39 pm 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
.....that hat kicks ass! :D

It was cold up there! 35 degrees and windy. Even saw snow one morning. That hat was like a furnace on my head.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 pm 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
overbrook wrote:
.....that hat kicks ass! :D

It was cold up there! 35 degrees and windy. Even saw snow one morning. That hat was like a furnace on my head.

Trust me....I don't care what I look like anymore...as long as I'm comfy!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice. I have a technological communications device called a telephone if you ever want to reach me to discuss planning of such future trips.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 am 
Rainbow Trout

JFey wrote:
...From what I understand, most of the big fish had moved out of the water and the male browns were also gone. It didn't matter to me since these were all big fish for me. Most of the pics suck because I was by myself often and it made the battles last longer so I was eager to get the fish back to the water...

There are still big fish to be found there through december. They like to hold tight to the bank in that SLOW froggy pocket water, right where most everyone would wade through and start plunking away into the main current. :roll:
Nice fish though, I like'em bright like that. Great hat too, may I also reccommend wool gloves next time. Those cheap 5 dollar fingerless deals you can pick up from any sporting goods place. They are the BEST tailing glove PERIOD. I have never farmed a fish with wool gloves on.