southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stone Mt. Dec 28
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 am 
Brown Trout

On Friday, Dec 28, Judy and I decided to take a winter picnic up to Stone Mt. Part of it was just to get out of the house (and away from Raleigh) for the day, and part of it was to allow me a few hours of DH fishing, my first outing since Thanksgiving.

As Dec 28ths go, it was actually a pretty nice day. The morning temperature was just below freezing, but forecast to rise to about 50 by mid day. There was a bit of a chill in the wind, but otherwise it was pleasant, if you were dressed properly. We both put on base layers and heavy socks, but Judy neglected to put on warm boots, so her feet got a bit cold. Other than that, though, we managed to stay comfortable.

The park wasn't deserted, but, when we arrived at 10:30, there weren't many other visitors. I drove by the flull DH section of the stream assessing the competition, and found only a few other fishermen trying their skills (luck). With pretty much my choice of water, I checked out a couple of popular spots, but couldn't see any fish. That was a bit disappointing, in that they weren't stakced up, but knowing that trout can hide in plain sight, if there aren't too many of them, I decided to give the stretch above this bridge a try:

I worked from the bridge all the way up to Garden Creek without so much as a nibble. It also bothered me that I never spooked any fish either, at least not that I could see. I did get a good bit of casting practice, though, working from both sides of the stream, and making a fair number of off shoulder casts.

At lunch time we moved down below the church to the upper parking lot, where we had our picnic. After eating I moved downstream into the next bend, which has been very productive in the past. A few casts with a BH prince, and I managed to connect with this nice 10"-12" brown. Twenty more minutes of casting failed to produce any further takes.

After that, I moved upstream above the foot bridge. The flat water between the foot bridge and the handicap access platform (200 yards maybe?) had scads of fish in it, hovering over the sandy bottom, but they weren't biting. Occasionally, I'd see one rise and take something I couldn't see near the surface (midge emergers maybe?) I did get a couple of follows with a pink egg, and a few more with a size 18 BWO, but they all turned back about 3" short. Frustrating, but that's fishing.

Post subject: Re: Stone Mt. Dec 28
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Try going to egg patterns when water is ice cold during Winter months. Try various sizes and vary colors til you find the right stuff. Tandem eggs seem to work very well, drop the second egg only 4" to 6" behind lead egg and go lite on split shot at first about 6" above lead egg....add small amounts of split shot until you get right drift depth. Trailing egg will float up off bottom in drift if you apply a little Gink to it.
I took 2 gents out in the snow last week(28F), neither had ever fly fished before and both netted 10-12 or so big fish using this egg strategy. Didn't even waste any time throwing drys....why bother.

Love Winter fishing!!!

Attachment:
File comment: 22" 6 lb Rainbow
021.JPG
021.JPG [ 66 KB | Viewed 1454 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 21" 5 lb Golden
014.JPG
014.JPG [ 65.09 KB | Viewed 1450 times ]