southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: One Dad and his Kids
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 am 
Rainbow Trout

In lieu of the Dads and Kids trip not happening - I'm off today to Helton anyway with my kids to sleep on the ground and hopefully get them on some fish. Expecting a storm to roll through today so hopefully its not too muddy Saturday. Many thanks to TroutChaser for his generosity in helping outfit son #2 on some wading boots and waders and to Streamer for the rod recommendations last year - they have been a huge hit (Reddington Minnow) - hopefully I have some cool pics to post. Going to experiment on some underwater shots with the Olympus Tough TG1 Peter recommended :idea: (it was awesome in the Caribbean) - can't wait til 3 PM today

Post subject: Re: One Dad and his Kids
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:09 pm 
Brown Trout

Awesome, do post some photos for us. That storm looks serious but hopefully you will find good water tomorrow.
I got one of those G1 last year and tried it but it did not fit my liking for video. The constant focusing of it really bothered me. Probably there is some adjustment but I could not find it. I stay with the Kodak sport which I can barely see it focusing. But again, it could just be me. Hope you do great and the kids have a ball!!!

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:27 am 
Brown Trout

Awesome Jay!! Looking forward to the PIC's

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Well here's the post from the trip - all in all a great time bonding with my boys - who are naturals at this stick waving crap. This was the second trip for my oldest, Jay and the first trip for my youngest, Aidan. Jay picked right up where he left off - casting and mending so effectively, I really did not have to say anything to him. Aidan picked it up quickly and it was a real joy to watch. I got a lot of comments about them both from groups camping there this weekend. Hopefully they have the bug for sure. We rolled in Friday night after a day of storms. The rain cleared as we arrived but the river was chocolate, high and fast. We set up camp, cooked some grub and enjoyed a fire hoping Saturday wasn't ruined. By morning the flow was down a lot - but still higher and faster than normal, and it had cleared considerably - but was still full of debris. The boys first took to chopping down a tree stump - and this quickly became the entertainment of the morning. Aidan spent an hour on this, until he finished it off to cheers from the other campers:

Fishing Saturday was tough - no fish caught by the boys, but they had some bites that they missed. Saturday night it dropped below freezing :shock: and we woke to a hard frost. After a slow morning waiting for the temps to warm (and more tree chopping), the fishing Sunday AM improved a bit as the water continued to clear:

Aidan:

His first trout ever:

Youth mentoring youth - so cool....

Jay working hard at it:

The Olympus Tough TG1 is sweet....

Poor Jay worked very hard at it all weekend and just couldn't get the hookset (as I was with Aidan every time he got a bite), and to top it off, he cut himself whittling, had a hot ember from the fire land INSIDE his nostril :o (really scary) and then Sunday he stepped in the creek over his boots (after choosing to not wear waders that day) - ending the trip a couple of hours early. We certainly had tough fishing, but I am more confident than ever we'll have grand days ahead :) I ran back and forth like a mad man a lot in the beginning helping each of them out, until Jay told me: "Dad, I'm boss man. I untangled my own line and unsnagged a hang up all on my own" His selflessness allowed his little brother to get his first couple of fish. Maybe I can bring my own rod on a trip sooner than I was thinking 8-)

J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:57 pm 
Brown Trout

Sure looks like you guys had a great time. Nice photos. They will be outfishing you in a few years!

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 pm 
Brown Trout

Absolutely Frickin Awesome!!!!

I am glad there were still some young voices echoing through the hills at Helton Creek this weekend. And I am sure your boys will remember this the rest of their lives. Good job Jay!! Oh and gettin' wet is just part of the trip. It was not an official trip if Devin did not get soaked at least twice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 pm 
Brown Trout

Best report of the year!! So glad you were able to get out and enjoy some quality time with your boys. Congrats to you for taking the time to spend with them. Lifetime memories made for sure!

TC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am 
Rainbow Trout

Jkelly,

Great report and I am glad weather turned out ok for you. By the way did you need any assistance putting that tent up on Friday when you arived? A couple of my friends were there the same weekend and one of them gave you a hand putting it up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 am 
Brown Trout

What a great report! Brought back lots of memories of kids with their victories and mishaps. So glad you went, Jay. Reading TR's like this one NEVER gets old.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:37 am 
Rainbow Trout

Liitle Cherokee

Yes! I think his name was Cole. What a great guy. He came over a couple of times to help or comment about the boys fishing skills. Even offered to have me join them for a beer after kids crashed but I was wore out. They were the cheering section for the tree chopping event! Looked like they had a great time too.

Jay