southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Davidson R 7/18 - 7/20
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 am 
Brown Trout

Judy and I took a long weekend to visit family in SC, which allowed me some time to visit the Davidson River. With all the rain we've been having, it should be no surprise that the D is running high and a bit off color. Visibility was about 18" to 24", but the water was a good 12" higher than normal for this time of year. In most places, the river was full, and slightly into the grass. The current was very strong, so I restricted myself to just wading hear the edges, and not over knee deep.

While I did see a few BWO's, for the most part insect activity was minimal, and I did no good with a dry fly. In fact, the only success I had was swinging a heavily weighted dark nymph through some of the deeper spots. The fish seemed to be hugging the bottom. I caught three of 9" to 10" brookies on a BH black hare's ear, and on a BH Prince.

I also tried going further up on Looking Glass. There the creek was still a bit high, but clear. Unfortunately, a lot of other fishermen were thinking the same way I was, so almost every pull out was occupied. I did find one with a nice run nearby, though, and spent an enjoyable hour, or so, enticing the wild fish with a size 14 EHC. I had a dozen hits, with no hookups, before I found out that my fly had a damaged point.

I changed out my fly, and immediately did better. The fish were only 5" to 7" long, mostly rainbows, but there's a lot more satisfaction in catching a 5" wild trout than in catching a 10" stocker.

I didn't take any pictures this time, but ifn y'all insist, I'm sure I can find some pix of 5" wild rainbows somewhere in my collection....

If you're thinking about going to the D, though, be prepared for the high water. River crossings are difficult, and while not actually dangerous, they are not to be taking lightly either.

On the other hand, if you've ever wanted to float the D from the confluence with Looking Glass down to the campground, now's the time to do it. Toons, kayaks and even canoes could make the run right now.

Post subject: Re: Davidson R 7/18 - 7/20
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm gald you got out and wet a line Paul. Haven't been out in way too long.

TC

Post subject: Re: Davidson R 7/18 - 7/20
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:50 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks Paul. Glad you got out. Also Glad to see the D has some extra water in it. It has needed it for a while now.