southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brownies
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm 
Brown Trout

Went back this weekend to have at it again. It was more or less a replay of the last time minus the rain with a few more fish caught. I tried an experiment Saturday afternoon. I parked in Bassett and walked way downstream to the next bridge and fished back to the car. Two hours later I had 4 fish and was thoroughly disgusted. I won't be back there. I hopped in the car and headed downstream to another spot where I normally end up. I managed 6 fish in an hour. One was pushing 14 inches which was the highlight of a somewhat disappointing day. I spent the night and hit the river the next morning. The first spot started slow but it picked up somewhat. I went back to the car, got something to eat and headed back to the river. The next spot I went to was a replay of the last time I fished there except I caught more fish and had even more fun. The fish were up against both banks. I stood in the middle and caught fish everywhere. If any of you haven't fished the Smith you need to head up there and give it a shot. It is a neat river.

Post subject: Re: Brownies
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 am 
Brown Trout

Nice report, Ben.

For those who are thinking about it, this Sat., Smith River TU is hosting a "fish with a friend" day. Show up at the mirror plant, and they'll pair you up with someone who knows the river, and can show you where some of the better spots are. Not a bad deal. Some of the Smith River regs. can give you more detail, or check out the Smith River TU WEB site.

VA raised their non-resident license fees this summer. A one day NR fishing license is $8, and that's all you need for this event. A trout stamp is only needed during the stocking season, which begins Oct. 1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm 
Brown Trout

Ben
You get any dry fly bites ??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:10 pm 
Brown Trout

JT, I'll fish dries up until the end of June. The sulphers start fading out then. I could catch some on dries now, but they are eating terrestrials like crazy so I am operating on the principal if it's not broke why fix it. Plus I do love tippy toeing through flat water and watching one come after it like a torpedo! At the last place I was fishing I could see fish heading 5 or 6 feet downstream after it. The water was not deep and the sun was just right. The fish aren't big but the average size is bigger on beetles and caterpillars than with dries or midges.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Looks good Ben!