southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blue Line Bust ... sort of
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:53 am 
Brown Trout

Well I wanted to try this little blue line I found. It's a mix of public and private access so I was not sure what to expect. It was about 30 mins out of my way down some dirt roads and DEC website says it has wild bows and browns. I found it. It's small and over grown and at this time of year next to impossible to fish with a fly rod....with no visible trail on the public parts so that's a good sign. It was around 3:30 by the time I got there so I didn't want to go tramping around with out fishing. So I will go back once some of the leaves are down after I get back from the PFF and get there earlier in the day.

I scooted up to a creek I know pretty well to try to my "not getting skunked" streak going. There is a section upstream from a road crossing I have never fished and I wanted to check it out. I walked down stream a ways to familiar water and dropped down in at a culvert. I got this little guy on the olive PT I had dropped below an orange EHC.

ImageTrout 9/18 by rjeeves, on Flickr

I worked up into the unfamiliar and it was pretty good looking. Pretty flat land so you skip the skinny water and bang banks along the way to the holding water. I pick up fish here and there ( got a lot of video but not photos so check out my FB post if you're interested in what the water looked like).

Maybe the latest was 10 or 11 inch bow with some really nice colors.

ImageTrout 9-18 by rjeeves, on Flickr

I fished until the sun was setting and I found an ATV trail to get back to the road. When I got to the ridge the sun set was in full effect.

It was too late to shop and cook dinner at the cottage so I stopped at a local wing joint and grabbed pizza and wings take away.

I was up early Saturday and out on the water on the way home. It was beautiful 50 degrees and sunny. No real bugs to speak of but I was getting them on the orange EHC. Bows and Browns for a couple hours.

So the above fish is a weird one. I am sure most of you have had this happen ... he hit the dry, I set the hook and pulled to dry out of his mouth, the line slid through the crook of his jaw and the dropper got him in the corner of the mouth. Legally thats a fair hook up but I always debate wether to photograph and "count" it as a good catch.

Thoughts?

This might be the last time I fish this creek until spring so I am glad I had a good morning. I'll be PFF'ing it until mid Oct and the Steelhead will be running by the time I get back. I'll go hit that blue line once the leaves drop but I'll pretty much be in Steelhead mode by then.

Post subject: Re: Blue Line Bust ... sort of
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:27 pm 
Brown Trout

Pretty damn good sir--------nice sized fish for a small creek
Dry Fly ???

JT

Post subject: Re: Blue Line Bust ... sort of
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 am 
Brown Trout

Nice. That sure doesn't look like a "bust" to me!