southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Saturday on the Smith
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:18 pm 
Brown Trout

I headed to Martinsville Friday after supper. I got up Saturday, ate breakfast and hit the river around 10:00. I wasn't in a major hurry since I figured I had all day. Unfortunately nobody told me the fish weren't planning on eating any beetles after around 1:30. If they had let me know that I might have gotten up earlier. I headed up river and started out fishing Ralph's dog hole. ( I hope you appreciate having a pool on the river named for you Ralph. :D Not everybody can lay claim to that) They were on fire and I picked up around 10 in short order. Feeling a little cocky ,( I'm old enough to know better) I went to my next spot. I picked up maybe 6 or 7 where I should have picked up a lot more than that. I was beginning to notice a trend going in the wrong direction. I ate my sandwiches and headed to Bassett. I talked to OTS and he suggested going to a new spot I had never fished. I caught a couple out of there and talked to Ben for a while. I will file that spot away for future reference. I went on downstream lookin for some sulphers which never materialized.
I did not catch a ton of fish Saturday, but it was enough to have had a lot of fun.