southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/29
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:09 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Derek and I hit a couple of old haunts yesterday and in typical fashion, the weather would change dramatically. The first stream was designated catch and release and has only fished well one of the three times we have fished it and yesterday was not the day it was on. There was a very small BWO hatch coming off during the light rain (#20) and no rises. The clarity of the water looked good and water levels were down slightly since our last vist a month ago. Caught a small rainbow on a dropper on the first few casts. Then picked up a bigger rainbow in the 12" range on a # 12 PT. Derek got the prize...could have be a cross between a carb and rainbow, nuclear power plant upstream, or a fish with little pigmentation. Still freaky to see:

Decided to fish a wild stream on the way home where the residents are historically a little more cooperative. Did not see any visible hatches of BWOs or black stones as we did a month ago. The water temp was 48.4 degrees and The rainbows and browns alike were colorful and fiesty. I fished a olive Klinkhammer with a grey BH softhackle dropper and the grey soft hackle seemed to get the most attention. I did manage one brown on the Klinkhammer and a 17" slab of a rainbow on the "ol' grey warrior"( no pics due to %#!ed up camera).

Called it quits after Derek took a swim :o .

Post subject: Re: 3/29
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:04 am 
Warpaint Shiner

It turned out to be a decent day in spite of the fact that there was nearly a thirty degree drop in temperatures between Fri. and Sat.. Add in the wind and rain and you have another typical fishing day :) . That yellow rainbow will be added to the growing list of odd things witnessed on the water. I've never seen a rainbow with this coloration, anybody have any ideas. When I saw it's back in the water, I though i'd hooked somebody's prized Koi, it was glowing :? . We did cut it a little short after I got in over the waders trying to retrieve some flies. Nothing like near freezing water creeping in your waders to send you back into civilization for a beer and a sandwich and an opportunity for your boys to warm up again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:01 am 
Warpaint Shiner

creature wrote:
I did manage one brown on the Klinkhammer and a 17" slab of a rainbow on the "ol' grey warrior"( no pics due to %#!ed up camera).

a likely story, i notice you have pics of all the other fish, even the koi :D have you boys changed your screen names to protect the guilty

"How come a guy who dresses in rags and drives an old pickup can afford such snazzy tackle?........It should be obvious" John Gierach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Better than some of those other names I've heard em called. Nice report and pics...purdy browns, not sure about the Koi though, I hear they'll eat right outta yer hand...not very sporting or takes great skill? you decide :D

If'n ya had BB along he coulda helped with the warmin' up the boys deal :D ...guess I shouldn't say that with him not here to defend himself :D

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 am 
Warpaint Shiner

marty wrote:
creature wrote:
I did manage one brown on the Klinkhammer and a 17" slab of a rainbow on the "ol' grey warrior"( no pics due to %#!ed up camera).

a likely story, i notice you have pics of all the other fish, even the koi :D have you boys changed your screen names to protect the guilty

Marty , due to our involvement in some questionable business relationships we had to turn over state's evidence and are now in the witness protection program, hence the altered screen names ;). Don't worry we'd never roll over on a friend,just keep those float trips coming like we discussed and all will be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:47 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

oakman you could be lined up for a float in april casting caddis to rising trout, trying to out do your partner in the witness protection program but he wimped out. guess he was afraid you guys would be recognized. there all booked now, so in the words of the great peddler, we'll send ya the guts :lol:

"How come a guy who dresses in rags and drives an old pickup can afford such snazzy tackle?........It should be obvious" John Gierach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:26 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Now that the truth is out regarding our identity,the low down was there was an information leak that we would be floating with you and for your own safety we had to bail...you could say we saved your life.

We even had to modify D's truck and add some out of state tags so we wouldnt be noticed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:43 am 
Warpaint Shiner

nice truck :D should handle good on curvy mtn roads. jamie you better come to the meeting tonight i might buy that rod and reel if you don't :twisted: