southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Hour
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:11 am 
Brown Trout

I usually try to run somewhere close this time of year and fish the last hour of daylight (magic hour) It helps me put the day in the proper perspective and just plain ole relax. Usually it's the pond or the FB river. Last night I went to the FB to see if I could get a couple of smallies or big bluegill.

Bob Clouser has a new nymph pattern he had shared around on Facebook and I had made a feeble copy to try. The river had cleared up some even with the rain storms that have rolled through the last few days. Fished some easily accessible spots and found a few nice yellow breasts. No smallies. About the time I had planned to stop I was on a fishing platform about 6 ft over the river. Walked out on it and swung the nymph at some rocks. Caught some more gills. One more swing and I was ready to head home. The nymph stopped and I set. It moved and I could turn the fish. Not a bluegill. It ran out to half river and shook its head hard. Remember I'm 6' up. I raised the rod and backed up the ramp to the platform. Down the bank to water level. It started running again. Burning my palm as I cradled the reel. Started to get some line back. Worked the fish back to the shore near the platform's base. Finally got the fish in sight. It was a guess-timated 10lb catfish. Worked into the edge with no real shallows. Got the leader and with one more head shake it straighted a #6 hook and ran free. (Which was the best outcome I believe at that point). The palm of my hand from using it as drag is still a little red this morning :o :) Biggest catfish on a fly by far for me. It would have been a hoot to have a video of me getting off that platform and around the rails with that fish screaming drag when it ran.

Post subject: Re: Magic Hour
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:58 pm 
Brown Trout

Grunt cats on a fly are a blast. I have caught quite a few and it is a struggle when the cat weighs more than your tippet will allow

JT

Post subject: Re: Magic Hour
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:04 pm 
Brown Trout

1X. :D