southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: labor day weekend fishing.....not what it should have been!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Met up with Aaron on sunday....he really had is game face on.....and his finger up in the air as he passed by me on the way to the water.We got to the put-in...eventually...and Aaron only took like 45 minutes to rig his boat! :roll:

He told me this "craft was so fast on the water it was'nt even funny......look where he is..... :lol:

I thought I was gonna have to go back and tow him to the fishing hole.We finally get there....and guess what ....no gar to be found.....nothing else the whole day either he finally called his buddy to ask where the fish were....

His buddy said they were up river feeding at the dam :twisted: .....so we went home empty handed

well.....he did get one wall hanger...maybe he'll post a picture of it :D . The fishing sucked....but the company was good. Sorry I had to cut out Aaron....but went home for a steak dinner and a movie with Michele and the girls....with ice cream....MMMMMM :P . We'll do it right next time...tie a few flies,drink a couple of beers with some Q and fish the next day or something......but eventually you need to come down too....just not right now....fishing sucks down here too right now.... :evil:

Got up this morning early early....thinking I have to catch one of these damn gar....it killed me not even to see one after tying up the killer gar fly....

This one casts really well and looks good in the water.....and a few mulberry flies for the carp....

So I hit the road early....only to find that there is a set of gates I was unaware of.....guess you have to wait till 7 AM to get in

Anyway....finally get in....set up the toon wheel...made it thru the walkway by turning the toon on its side and sliding it thru.....walked the tow path and could'nt remember where I went down last time....so I chose a steep 5 ft drop followed by a 2 ft rock wall...and a bunch of brush the rest of the way to the water....Once there it was really pretty...

One of the two gar holes....

The other.....

Early on I could'nt see much without the sun on the water....but on the very first blind cast I had a small 18 incher follow my fly back to the boat.....and as the sun came up I searched some more.....only to find some hanging in the rocks.... (center left you can see him in the rings in the water)

there turned out to be several...and had a few more follows....but no takers.

went back and looked in the big flat pools....but they were still not grouped up like usual....they were spread out and you would just occasionally run up on one or see one stick his snout up out of the water.....again...a few chases...even a couple of short nips...but no eaters. Same story throut the day....I saw a number of big carp...had no interest in the mulberry fly or nymphs....did get one sucker or whatever they are (16 inch fish with sucker lips white fins....look a little like a carp without wiskers)....saw a bunch of small largemouth about 8-8 inches and one that went about 3 pounds....same story....they would chase the flies....but would'nt eat.....long story short.....this was the wall hanger of the day.....

I can't figure it out....last several times out....all the fish would chase flies....but hardly a damn fish would eat :twisted: ......is this why no-one else is posting reports??

Toon wheel worked much better this time....but still is'nt easy....actually the worst thing this trip was simply the long ass haul back to the truck on the tow path in the 100 degree heat at 2 in the afternoon.....bout killed me! but the wheel really did perform much better.

Bill....I spoke with one of the workers from the pumping station...he said it is 3.5 miles from the head gates to the pumping station....he said something about some stairs then crossing the bridge.....we really need to go by there sometime and scope it out...if it is a reasonabl put in....we could make the float from there down to the N.Augusta boat ramp easy....and theres some nice water between there....he also said he was'nt catching much right now....but had only been a couple of times after being put on a swing shift....but he said they should turn back on this fall when temps start to fall.

Post subject: Re: labor day weekend fishing.....not what it should have been!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 am 
Brook Trout

Keep at it Tom.

We have gar in the Nolichucky; had a big one about 38" follow a musky jerkbait, my friend was fishing it and didn't even realize the follow as he was trying to point out something down-river to me. I noticed the big boy right beside the stationary jerkbait three feet from the boat - it was just hanging out right beside us for about 4-5 seconds - then my friend started to give the lure some action and the fish took off.

I'm interested in hearing what kind of retrieves seem to work when a gar follows (or for that matter, what retrieves get them to follow to begin with). Speed up, slow down, stop, all the above?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Cast just to the side and behind thier head. Gar's eyes are pretty far on the side of there head and stripping it past their head will get them to turn and strike. They leap wich is cool 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 pm 
Brown Trout

kylemc wrote:
Cast just to the side and behind thier head. Gar's eyes are pretty far on the side of there head and stripping it past their head will get them to turn and strike. They leap wich is cool 8-)

I did that a couple of times thinking they would do just what you said....but they did'nt even pay it any attention....most of the chases came when I threw in front and ten feet past them and brought it across in front of them....but I tried everything imaginable....and no real takes.....from past experience....I'm guessing its just too hot....cooler weather seems to make them more aggressive......I'm not done yet.....this fall...maybe even next spring....but I'll eventually get there on the right day. :D The days of the carp are numbered too! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:03 pm 
Brown Trout

I would rate the fishing as "excellent" even if the catching was off just a bit. The weather was the best of the year. Unfortunately, my bold predictions of gar on every cast just didn't pan out.

Tom, you get a rain check on the BBQ and beverages -- I owe you one. Sorry to hear that your fish didn't bite the next day, either.

I am glad you got my good side for the first photo. Dick Handshaw's shot of me the day before as I fell in the river was also very good. I don't think he posts on this board, but maybe that pic will get passed around at some point - it is pretty funny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm 
Brown Trout

You all I believe had some success of th important kind :)

I have yet to fulfill the gar slot on my list. Stopped seeing them when I started trying to catch one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:02 am 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
I am glad you got my good side for the first photo.

Yeah....I see that extra 20 pounds that you were talking about now. :o