southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oh the shame
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm 
Brown Trout

I went out on the pond for about two hours....the whole summer long fly rod attempts have been futile....so I packed the spinnin' rod and some plastic smelly worms...yes ...I said plastic worms :twisted: but...it seems I have found out what is going on with the bass....they are in fact laying under and just at the edge of the lily pads...and they are'nt chasing anything. First fish came when I cast along the edge of the pads and left the worm lying still...I was smoking a ciggarette and staring up at a flock of birds....when I looked down my line was heading for the center of the pond.Over the next two- two and a half hours I probably hooked into at least two dozen fish by employing this throw it and forget it technique. Most fish ran around two pounds..one or two a little bigger and a couple of dinks in the eight inch range. So at least now I know two things.....I need sharper worm hooks....missed a bunch.... and there are in fact still some bass in the pond. :D Hopefully cool weather will get them moving a bit more and chasing flies or smacking poppers!

Post subject: Re: Oh the shame
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:01 pm 
Brook Trout

call it research tom!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:43 am 
Brown Trout

ctchrelz wrote:
call it research tom!

Seriously....thats exactly what it was....which is why I did'nt even bother replacing the hook. I just wanted to see if I could get some "to bite" ...its not like I need to get em' in the boat...I'm not going to eat em'. I still think the population is off quite a bit from what it used to be....but the ones I am catching seem to be healthier...so maybe thats a reasonable trade off. I'm gonna try to feed the bluegill more this fall...and even into the winter if they keep at it...and in the spring I hope to stock some more bass and channel cats.

BTW next time I go to the Savannah...I'm spraying my gar flies with some gulp scent....ya'll can make fun of me later....but I think it might make the difference between a follow and a take......who knows....I might fish with corn at Left Behinds! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 pm 
Brown Trout

Tom, you can catch catfish if you dip your fly into that Gulp juice...so I've been told. (You know I'm too much the purist to engage in such an impure act.) A big stone fly nymph or dragon fly nymph cast to the edge of the pads and just left to sit will illicit takes from summertime bass. But watching the ash on your cigarette lengthen is more exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:15 am 
Brown Trout

As a former high octane bass chaser ,"Dead sticking" drives me insane. it is kinda like watching grass growing. Effective at tines ,but boring

JT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:
As a former high octane bass chaser ,"Dead sticking" drives me insane.

JT

So that's what did it. And I thought it was that rarified mountain air.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 am 
Brown Trout

rivergeezer wrote:
Tom, you can catch catfish if you dip your fly into that Gulp juice...so I've been told. (You know I'm too much the purist to engage in such an impure act.) A big stone fly nymph or dragon fly nymph cast to the edge of the pads and just left to sit will illicit takes from summertime bass. But watching the ash on your cigarette lengthen is more exciting.

Right now anything would be more exciting than sittin in this truck... :roll:

I need to tie up some big nymphs for bluegill too! :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:10 pm 
Brook Trout

You have to keep a sharp eye on those fish, Tom. Whatever it takes. I know a guy (seriously) who stores flies in containers filled with crushed-up trout chow. Big guy, big vest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:33 pm 
Brown Trout

mtsteveoh wrote:
... I know a guy (seriously) who stores flies in containers filled with crushed-up trout chow. Big guy, big vest.

What an incredibly crude practice! Having gained superb culinary knowledge from a year at Le Cordon Bleu, I allow my powdered fish-chow slurry to ferment before I drop the bluegill flies in. The upside for the fish is they really don't give a **** if they're caught or not. Plus, they can't remember what fly they were caught on.

Le Geezaire du Fleuve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 am 
Brown Trout

Tom,

If ya gonna tie up Bluegill nymphs,a Blonde Tellico is about as good as it gets for deep water gills. Might put 1 set of rubber legs on it.

Chain Eye Bully is strong deep water medicine also.

JT