southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: not so warm warmwater
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:15 pm 
Brown Trout

Got out Monday afternoon for a couple of hours.....I walked down to the boat dock and watched about a hundred bluegill swim away from under the dock...then saw about a 4-5 pound bass and two smaller ones (maybe a pound) swim along....so I grabbed my spinnin rod...some plstics and jumped in the toon....over about a 3 hour period I ended up with about 2 dozen small bass.....all roughly the same size give or take an inch or two.....heres a few samples......

Tuesday I got back thru the house and had about 2 hours to play....so I took the flyrod out....I fished a slumpbuster type fly that I used at Left Behinds and caught a couple little bass....

and saw a ton of bluegill rising to these little flying ants.....

There were literally hundreds in probably a ten ft. diameter area....all over the pond.....it was fun just sitting listening to them pop the surface everywhere. I tied on a small black woolybugger and caught a few before calling it an afternoon.....

I'm pretty sure that if I had more time and a couple of red butt dry woolyworms I could have spanked the bluegill hard. The fish were definately eating...the thing that made it tough is that the water is low and ultra clear again.....you can't get within 40 ft. of the fish without spooking them...and when you make a cast you can see as the flyline starts to lay out....fish scatter everywhere. I'm hopin to get a few more chances this fall before everything just shuts down completely.

Post subject: Re: not so warm warmwater
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:35 am 
Brown Trout

Pretty respectable Bream, Sir !! :mrgreen:

JT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:26 am 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:
Pretty respectable Bream, Sir !! :mrgreen:

JT

JT...actually there are some much nicer ones out there...I'm figuring they were deeper ( I was working the shoreline) just did'nt have enough time to search for em'. Soemtime when I have a half day to play....I'm gonna work some of the deeper water nice and slow :D

Post subject: Not so warm warmwater
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm 
Brook Trout

Tom,
I'm having the same problem...spooking fish in a 5-acre warm water pond full of bream and bass. I thought these fish weren't too leader shy. WRONG! I gotta sneak around like a cat and use a million-foot leader. I thought trout were bad. Geez-louise.
Steve
mtsteveoh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:21 pm 
Brown Trout

Our bass and bluegill get spooky at times. Precise sized fly, hatch, and long leaders.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 pm 
Brown Trout

Admittedly....I was using a short 7ft. leader with maybe 2 or 3 ft of 12 pound tippet.....an extra 5 ft or so would probably help a good deal. I was just happy to be seeing a few bass and catching a couple. Its been a tuff summer even on the river :(