southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No man left behind!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:34 am 
Brown Trout

Cameron and OMD came down late Fri. night around 9:30 -10:00

They were running a little late but still a welcome sight....

They were pulling OMD's new trailer purchased from Beetle.....

Beetle....did Jack at least give ya a little lube? Jack...thats the last time I'm gonna let you have the first crack at a good deal! You should be ashamed of yourself ....Beetle...I'm really sorry bout them hooks! but whatta ya expect from a size 20? :lol:

So anyway...we went to the hotel to get our game plan together and get an early start the following morning....I let Cameron and OMD rummage thru my streamer boxes ( I only let OMD have one fly!)

Cameron brought the heat just in case someone tried to jack us up for our flies...

We got back up at 3:30 AM to make a walmart run

....I needed some 6 pound test and some wally goggles and sunscreen. I decided to try a spinning rod...but took a seven weight and a ten weight for gar....but never strung up either.

We finally got on the water around 7 AM.....

I headed straight up to the hole where I caught the jackfish last time...and immediately hooked up with another...and a really nice one! I had him on for about 45 seconds ...then he cut the line clean...I tied on another small rapala...and first cast another...but this one barely bent the rod and cut the line. :twisted:

Probably the first 45 minutes I hooked 6 or 7 big fish....and lost 6 or 7 lures that fast! A little later I hooked a nice fish....and while fighting it a big gar came up and thrashed at the fish....when it moved off...I thought it must have been the gar that I was fighting...but then while watching the gar swim off....the fish that was hooked made a dash and broke me off! really stupid set of events!

first fish to hand was this little yellow perch...another breed for the list ....

Got lots of small bass and a few redbrests throughout the day.....most of the bass were on the small side...with a couple no bigger than my pinky finger.

I actually caught a couple smaller than this one....

and unfortunately my photo skills suck...because this picture does'nt do this fish the least bit of justice....it was a beautfully colored fish!!

OMD also used spinning gear...and even though I've been trying for the last two summers to get a gar on the fly....this Ahole catches one on a roostertail!

He will not be invited back!!! :twisted: ;)

It was an amazingly hot day....but if not for the heat....it would have been/ was a really fun day on the water!

The best part of the trip was when we got down to the two big slow pools by the pumping station.....we had spied a bunch of big gar and carp...which are there every time without fail....So OMD and I sat in the shade while Cameron threw a big braided gar fly for them. Jack and I were cooling off just shooting the bull and the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life occurred.....Cameron was casting and all of a sudden seemed to take about two steps back....I saw the leaning bar fold back behind him...somehow while cameron went under it....then cameron litterally proceeded to do a backflip off the boat....all while putting his flyrod in the rod holder...taking his camera out and putting it away...and it appeared as though he was grabbing shit with his feet....all while on the way into the water.....he finally hit the drink.....I heard him take a gulp...his head bobbed up out of the water....he gasped for air...and acted like a drowning cat trying to get out of the water! While I was still trying to register what I had just seen...OMD shouts "get the camera!" and before I could even turn it on and aim it towards cameron....he was already back in the seat! .....

I swear I almost pee'd myself....it was the most amazing display of acrobatics I've ever seen in my life.....me and Jack laughed so hard I pulled muscles in my side and had tears in my eyes!! It was another great day on the water with friends! Thanks for coming down guys! :D

Post subject: Re: No man left behind!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:32 pm 
Brown Trout

Sounds like a good trip.

So, while Aaron and I were thrashing through the rhodos chasing respectable fish; you were catching trash fish and drinking beer? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Looks like the trailer got a bath! Nice report. Glad you guys had fun. I was stuck with woolly this weekend :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:16 am 
Nice report Tom and I am glad you guys had a real good time and caught some fish. I saw the picture of Jack's gar and it was a nice one. Maybe next time it will be your time, now you know you have to use a rooster tail to catch one. I hate that I missed this one but will be there for the next ones to come. By the way I had walked across the street last night and had Cameron reenact that whole backflip thing he did off his boat and I must say it was priceless last night but could only imagine what the real thing looked like. He is now trying out for the USA diving team!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:37 am 
Brown Trout

Nice report ,Tom

Fun day on tha river for sure

JT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am 
Brown Trout

The Cherokee Kid wrote:
By the way I had walked across the street last night and had Cameron reenact that whole backflip thing he did off his boat and I must say it was priceless last night but could only imagine what the real thing looked like. He is now trying out for the USA diving team!!!!

Theres no way that could be re-enacted!! Definately plan on coming down in the fall when the weather cools...and bring the big man!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:16 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Tom I have got to thank you for telling the story about Camerons back-flip,I agree it was the funniest and most acrobatic turn of events I have ever seen! I also want to thank Beetle for selling me the trailer at such a good deal,I will take better care of it than Tom would have :D .Thanks Tom for inviting us down,needless to say it was one of the best times I have ever had! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Good one guys...thumbs up on the Gar.

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:23 pm 
Brown Trout

Man what a trip!! That river is gorgeous, the water is crystal clear and cool. I spent the whole time rowing and staring at the fish and other creatures under my boat. The closest thing I can describe it as is a glass bottom boat ride. I would love to have that river within 30 – 45 minutes of my house.

Like Tom said we arrived at 10:30 or so and got to the hotel around 11:30. We BS’ed and drank a few beers until about 1:30. Thanks again for letting me raid the fly boxes Tom!! Way too generous!! About 1:30 OB and OMD decide we should get some sleep since Tom wants to be out of there by 5. OK OK I can deal with that. 2 hours later about 3:30 I get drug out of bed to hit the local wallie world (Tom needed some string for his spinning rod :o ). Man 2 hours of sleep and off we go.

We put in just after sun up and started the day. Huge fish smashing the surface all around me that did not want a damn thing to do with my popper. Switched to a streamer but it did not help. I watched OB and OMD with some nice hookups and fish brought to hand. After trying several different flies I finally started to see some action later in the day. Turns out I needed a small fly stripped really fast. Nothing huge but half a dozen small brim and bass brought to hand. Nothing size wise to write home about but they are in there fo sho.

By late in the day I was about wore out from slinging that 8 wt all day (why in the crap did I not bring my spinning rod) . I think that coupled with the lack of sleep and excitement of staring at 4’ Gar swimming on top of 50 lb carp is what caused the backflip. I am still not sure exactly what happened but thank god I was in 10’ of water!!!

Took our time paddling to the take out from there. Loaded up and went to drop tom and his boat off back up top. Turns out we dropped most off his boat off a little early. You should have seen the faces on the passing vehicles when we had my truck, a trailer with my and OMD’s pontoons and then OB’s giant inflatable kayak hanging off the back another 10’ blowing in the wind. Too damn funny and glad it did not get torn up. Don’t laugh at me next time I bust my ass and I promise not to loosen the tie downs on your boat :twisted: :twisted: .

I can’t say enough about that trip what a good time. Looking forward to getting back down there and doing it again soon Tom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:25 pm 
Brown Trout

FlyFisher22 wrote:
Don’t laugh at me next time I bust my ass and I promise not to loosen the tie downs on your boat :twisted: :twisted: .

I knew it !! :lol: :lol: