southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Savannah river run
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Cameron, OMD and Little cherokee came down fri. night (late as usual) ...had a beer or two, a few laughs and hit the sack early.....got up saturday and floated the Savannah....we had a really good day...lots of fish caught (even though there is a lack of flicks). The water could'nt have been better...pretty day and for the most part we were spared by the scorching sun! The breeze blowing in from the remnants of the hurricane was helpful keeping us cooled off....but would have made flycasting really rough. We mostly threw small rapala like lures called speed minnows....we all caught lots of redeyes,smallies and redbrest (big redbreast!) and a few perch...we also all hooked into a few gar...though most came unbuttoned at boatside...hence the lack of pics on them. Billres and Croaker take notice!....we decided to float down the Ga. side past the pumping station this time....thats the way to go! easy floating that side...and more current...by the time we quit drifting with the current and were done fishing...you can pretty much see the takeout...no more 1 1/2 mile row at the end!

some flicks....

4 AM wake up....

the pile of toons...

Little Cherokee napping on the way to put in...

fish pics.....

One of little Cherokee's many fish....

back at the swamp....

a few defining Moments....

"was that a snake...cause snakes like to hide in the mud!"

stumpy little dikbeaters

"hey ya'll watch this!"

Dog Damn GPS thingies!!

The popo waiting for us at the takeout (that was close!)

pizza for dinner....though we have a new swingout campfire grill thanks to overbrook engineering.

It was another fine time....thanks guys for coming down!

Post subject: Re: Savannah river run
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:22 pm 
Brown Trout

Looks like a good time!!

TC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:55 am 
Brown Trout

Tom,
Nice report ! & pretty fish . Especially the big red breast.

Got a question :::: Would this be a good place to hold a PFF ? Any place to camp ? and do you have to row for 1 1/2 mile in calm water to get to the takeout ? --That is a long row without any current helping you.

JT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:13 am 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:
Tom,
Nice report ! & pretty fish . Especially the big red breast.

Got a question :::: Would this be a good place to hold a PFF ? Any place to camp ? and do you have to row for 1 1/2 mile in calm water to get to the takeout ? --That is a long row without any current helping you.

JT

Jt...its a real pretty river with a lot of pretty fish....that flick of the redbreast does nothing for it!

there is a public picnic/ camping? area halfway down the float....but I don't think there is access by vehichle.There is a "towpath" that runs from the end of the shoals at the pumping station up to the headgates of the canal where there is a park and the picnic/camping area is along that towpath I'm guessing....lots of folks use it as a jogging/bike path..There is also a place on the SC side near the put in where I have seen folks camping...and another farm with fields near the I-20 bridge....In my opinion it would be a great place to hold a PFF if we could get access to a place to camp....as far as the end of the float.....we found a much better way this weekend...we stayed over on the GA side and there is much more current there and less obstructions....maybe a 1/2 mile at most to the boat ramp at the take out....and its no worse than doing the last half mile at the smallie show on the way back to the campground.....but basically its deep water and we usually just row it because there is no structure to fish....just big wide open river. I could possibly do some asking around if you think it would be an option.....maybe Billres could also chime in with a few thoughts??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Where about is all these floating? Might have to do a camping trip on this one now that I have enough boats for all 4 of us.

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:57 pm 
Brown Trout

La_Trucha wrote:
Where about is all these floating? Might have to do a camping trip on this one now that I have enough boats for all 4 of us.

Nando....I'll PM ya info including directions to the put in and take out (don't ever let Cameron give you directions via GPS :twisted: ) in the next day or so.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:11 pm 
Brown Trout

Great report! Yellow Perch on the fly is one I've been wantin' to add to the list.

FWIW, here's a map of that area:

http://www.augustacanal.com/canalmap.pdf

Miles of wade access along the hike/bike path, several canoe/pontoon putin-take outs. Need to find a nearby place to camp...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Tom we had a great time as usual,I hope this trip down to your place gets to be a monthly trip.I think floating the savannah has got to be one of the best trips us country boys have had.Thanks again man we need to do it again soon! Hope next time I can get in that pond of yours and land the 12lb. bass thats waiting in the pads for me! ;) See you again soon brother! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 am 
Brown Trout

Don...thanks for posting the map...now if I can just save the map as a jpeg or bitmap image I can mark the map myself with the best route to take down the river, fishing hotspots etc.! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am 
Brown Trout

Tom thanks again for having us down, we had a great time as always. Wish the wind would have died down a little bit for a little more “fly” action but fishing is fishing! I have not had a chance to float a ton of rivers yet but this by far is my favorite so far.

Weekend started off with an evening drive down to Tom’s, apparently late by his standards, got there before nine. Drank a few beers, put Tom’s boat on our trailer and set up the tent, really not much we had to do this time. Went to bed around midnight and was woken up by the tractor horn a few minutes later (3:45 am) to go fishing. Tom had been home watching infomercials and could not wait any longer. Well after a few wrong turns, my fault I told the GPS to go to the put in not the take out to drop the other car off, we arrived. We had to listen to Tom whine about how GPS units suck for an hour but got unpacked and on the water by 6:30 despite his whining. Took our time and floated till 3:30 with everyone catching fish and enjoying the day. Hit the boat ramp to take out and there is the wildlife officer, I thought Tom was going to crap. I always tell him just put a PFD and a whistle on the boat and you don’t have to worry about it……. Luckily he was busy with other boaters and did not mess with us, but I do think that Tom will spend the $7 now! I know he was shook because as soon as we left to head home he saw a cop at a 4 way stop, waited way to long to try and let the cop go and then made a wrong turn to get away.

Get back to Tom’s, order a pizza and try for a few bass, I landed two decent bass and lost something HUGE. Would love to have seen what it was, it took line and my boat across the pond in a hurry in 30 – 40 foot increments. Tom get rid of some of those pads so we have a chance!!

After fishing OMD went to bed and Tom, John and I hung around the campfire for a last beer. About the time Little Cherokee says I think the fire needs some more gas to get going. SO Tom grabs a cup and they start to fill it up (while standing right behind where I am sitting and probably 15-20 feet from the fire). Well they are filling it up for a looooooong time until LC realizes the cup is pouring the gas out the bottom (Tom was filling a Styrofoam cup with gas and it ate through it) and starts yelling it leaking, its leaking. I am sitting in my chair cracking up wishing I had these two idiots on film, while Tom runs around me and throws the cup of gas at the fire. It takes about .25 seconds to realize that the line of fire is now coming straight for me and the puddle of gas has pooled next to my chair. I jumped up/fell over (or was possibly knocked out of my chair by the blast) and put a few feet between me and the fire before the pool of gas went up. By this time all three of us our rolling around laughing and trying to stomp the fire out. OMD comes out of the truck asking what the hell happened and we could not even talk. Truly a “hey y’all watch this” moment.

Here are the few pics I took, I really need to take more pictures on these trips!

Last edited by FlyFisher22 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.